≈ f o u r t e e n ≈

brynn's pov

"Let's go on it one more time!!" Kenzie laughs, almost falling very coinciDenTally into Johnny's arms. Such a flirt, but what's new?

"Bro," Carson rolls his eyes. "We already went on it four times for you."

I nod. "Yeah, let's try something else."

Hayden and Annie disappeared to go do something together long before, so it's just the four of us now.

"What do you want to do, Johnny?" Carson asks, looking at Johnny, who actually seems to be enjoying Kenzie's endless chatter.

"Uh, we can try the haunted house?" he suggests.

"Sure." Carson begins heading that way. He's been very stoic and un-talkative ever since we got here, but it's better that way. I'd rather not talk to him right now.

"Why not the haunted roller coaster ride?" Kenzie asks, pointing towards a tall, scary looking structure.

"Whatever works," Johnny says, laughing.

Once we get in line, Kenzie notes that it's two in a car, not four, unlike the other rides we've been on.

"Looks like I'll be riding with Johnny, and you'll be with Brynn," Kenzie notes happily. I mentally roll my eyes.

"Cool. Glad to ride with my big brother, in case I get scared." I say, smiling.

Kenzie shoots me a weird look, but otherwise ignores the comment as she and Johnny fall into line in front of us, beginning a new conversation.

Carson is deathly silent. I hold my breath awkwardly.

"How have you been?" He asks quietly.

I look up at him, then away quickly. "Uh, fine," I shrug. "What about you?"

"Okay."

"Nice." I say, and immediately cringe. Spurred on by some sudden boldness, I venture, "So...any new girls?"

"Brynn." He says, in almost a warning tone.

"What?" I ask innocently. "Just looking out for my bro."

His eyes bore holes into mine, and I notice his jaw clench. "Stop that."

"Stop what?"

"I'm dating Meika." With that, he looks away and clams up.

"Of course." I shrug again nonchalantly. "You just said it's not very committal or something."

"Brynn." His voice is so low, only I can hear him. "Shut up."

"Sorry." I smile. "I'm just your sister. You don't need to get so mad."

Carson's grip on my arm tightens. "If you don't stop-"

"You wouldn't lay a finger on your sibling, would you? You're supposed to be the protective older brother." I look at him unflinchingly. He holds my stare with a fierce glare and drops his grip on my arm.

"When I said that..." His voice is quiet again. "You know I didn't mean-"

"I know what you meant." I nod stiffly at him. "You made it very clear."

"Next in line!" the carnival worker announces, and I move forward to get into the car. Carson follows behind me after a short pause.

The ride was horribly awkward after that. I was barely paying attention to how 'scary' it was supposed to be. Carson made a few lame 'whoo's and 'woah's because Kenzie looked at us funny when she noticed us being silent.

When we get off, Kenzie blabbers to Johnny about how scary that was, and he laughs.

"What now?" Kenzie asks, turning to us. She communicates a 'what the heck is going on with you two' look with her eyes at me, and then says, "Why don't we try some games?"

"Sure." Johnny leads the way, and Kenzie falls back in step with me.

"Hey, Carse, I need go to the bathroom. Go ahead with Johnny and Brynn and I will meet you at the basketball thingy." Kenzie nods her head in the direction of Johnny, and Carson moves on ahead quietly.

"What's going on?" she whispers, as soon as they're out of earshot.

I take a long breath. "It's a long story."

"Well, I'm all ears."

"Not here." I run the palms of my hands down my face. "Gosh, Kenzie, it's so complicated."

"Do you want us to go to a romantic ride or something? It'll get Carson for sure." She laughs, but when she notices I don't, stops. "Hey, I'm sorry. I don't know how to help you."

"It's okay." I sit down on a bench and Kenzie takes the seat next to me. "I'll figure it out. Or I won't. I don't know."

"Should I talk to him about it?"

I pause to think for a second. "I don't know. Probably not. I'll explain why once we get back to his apartment."

"Okay." She squeezes my hand affectionately and winks at me. "I'm expecting a long explanation."

"You won't be disappointed." I laugh ruefully, grimacing.

"Well, let's get back to the boys, and I'll see how he's doing."

kenzie's pov

"Hey, you almost got that one!" I give Carson a high-five, laughing as he attempts his last basket.

"Thanks," he gives me a half smile and hands the the game ref 3 tickets before turning to leave "Where to now?"

"Wanna go home now?" I ask, "You look really tired."

He laughs. "Me? No, I'm fine. I've just got a lot on my mind."

"Like what?"

"Uh," Carson shrugs. "I don't know-school, I-I-"

"Brynn?" I ask, and instantly regret it.

His face immediately hardens. "No."

"I was kidding." I laugh it off, feeling very uncomfortable. "You're so defensive, geez."

"Sorry," he softens, sighing and tucking his hands into his pockets. "It's so complicated."

"I get it." I say, sighing over dramatically, and he rolls his eyes, but smiles slightly. "Seriously," I tell him, "I can be a middle man for you. Tell me what you want to tell her, and I'll do it."

"But I don't know what I want to tell her." He runs his fingers through his hair. "I'm conflicted."

"Break up with your girlfriend...cuz I'm bored." I whisper teasingly, hoping he doesn't blow up.

He just sighs.

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

100 words short my goal but hEY this is an early update so i'm gonna let it slide ;)