11. La Push, Baby!

Start from the beginning

Magnolia felt so annoyed. She wanted to push what happened yesterday with Paul out of her mind, but yet Jasper kept prying. She knew he had no ill intent, but she wasn't ready to talk about it, and using Edward as a threat wasn't helping the situation.

Jasper took a deep breath and lent closer to Magnolia. He spoke softly and quietly in her ear, so only she would hear. "I care about you, Magnolia. I want to protect you, I want to keep you safe from anyone who may try to hurt you. So please, spare me the agony, and tell me."

That was not what Magnolia expected him to say. Another blush crept up her neck and face. She moved away from him, looking deep into his topaz eyes, nearly getting lost in them and forgetting what she was going to say.

"Sam thought it would be a good idea, for me and Paul to...spar. I got a little too cocky and pissed him off. He did this," she pointed to her bandage. "But I deserved it. There are no hard feelings, and he'd called at least five times after I had left to apologize to me...but mostly mom." She chuckled at the end.

This is exactly what Jasper was afraid of. He couldn't help the anger that started bubbling within him. Softly and slowly, he moved his hand to the bandage, touching it with so much care, worried he'd accidentally hurt her. "I told you not to go. You can never trust wolves." He hummed quietly as his eyes continued to search Magnolia's face.

Magnolia rolled her eyes, dropping her voice as the movie started. "Paul isn't a...wolf, yet. He just has serious anger management problems." She scowled.

Jasper smiled, letting out a small breath in relief. Magnolia could feel the cold air on her face. She closed her eyes, sighing contently. "See? That wasn't so hard," Jasper chuckled. Magnolia opened her eyes, glaring at him. "I'm just glad you're okay. I worry I can't help it."

He moved away from her, and leant back in his seat, now focusing on the movie. Magnolia felt a tightness in her chest as she did the same, and she couldn't help but smile at the thought of someone like him, caring for her.

History class went by quickly, much to Magnolia's dismay, and she was off to gym class; they were working on health worksheets. Before she knew it, the class was over and the lunch bell rang.

Hurriedly, Magnolia stuffed the papers in her bag and walked as fast as she could without running, to the lunchroom. Bella was waiting for her at the doorway.

"Hey."

"Hi."

They walked in together and headed to their regular table with Jessica, Angela, Tyler, Mike and Eric already waiting for them.

Eric's face lit up at the sight of Bella. "Hey! La Push, baby! You in?"

Bella's face scrunched up in confusion. "Should I know what that means?" She turned to Magnolia, eyes pleading for help.

"La Push beach, down at the Quileute res, we're all going tomorrow," Mike interjected, turning the girl's attention away from her friend.

"Yeah, there's a big swell coming in," Jessica added, taking a bite of her salad.

Eric jumped up. "And I don't just surf the internet." He joked. Mike stood up on his chair, mocking a surfing action.

"Eric, you stood up once, and it was foam board." Magnolia drawled, laughing at the boys' feeble attempt at impressing Bella.

Angela touched Bella's arm softly, not noticing the girl's obvious flinch. "But there's whale watching too, come with us."