Chapter Four

Word count: 2500

Chapter Four

"Daniel, your parents are here," Phil hears his mum call from the hallway.

He glances down at Dan, who has his head on Phil's shoulder. His grip on his hand loosened as he had fallen asleep. However, Phil couldn't make himself wake him.

The door creaks open and Phil looks up. His mum walks in, followed by two other adults. Phil guesses it's Dan's parents.

"Oh, Dan," Mrs. Howell sighs, a hand going up to her throat. Phil hears her whisper to her husband, "I thought this stopped." Mr. Howell grabs her hand and pulls her to his side.

Phil's mum then says, "Maybe we should let him sleep. How about we go downstairs; I'll make some tea."

"That sounds good," Mrs. Howell replies.

"Will you be alright?" Phil's mum asks Phil.

"I should be fine," he responds simply, giving her a small smile.

All three of them leave the room, leaving Phil with a sleeping Dan once again. Dan stirs, making Phil look down at him again.

His hair is cute curly... Phil thinks to himself.

Phil shakes his head. He knows Dan would never approve of his thoughts.

          *-*

"Danny?" Dan hears a voice call in a whisper. He looks all around and realizes where he is.

Only one person ever called him Danny. Mainly because he never allowed anyone else to.

"Charlie?" He shouts through the trees.

"Over here Danny," he hears her sweet giggle to the right.

He walks through the trees and brush, occasionally tripping. He reaches the rushing water he could never forget.

"Charlie, where are you?" He calls again.

"Danny, hurry!" Her voice sounds hoarse and panicked, unlike before.

Dan breaks out into a run, before stopping short of breath.

"Danny," Charlie whispers again, her voice soft and sweet once more. "They never found me. Can you please find me?"

Dan remembers. They never found Charlie's body. No one could. People search for hours and days. She was never found.

"Charlie, tell me where you are," Dan pleads.

This time he gets no reply.

"Charlie!" He shouts. His voice echoes back to him.

He sits on the damp dirt where he stopped. He puts his hand in the cool water. Dan lets out a startled scream when a pale white hand reaches out and grabs his.

*

Dan sits up from where he was currently lying down and looks around frantically. He's back in his room at the Lester's.

His breathing is ragged, and his forehead is a bit moist.

"Dan?" Phil says, making Dan jump. "Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah. Why?" Dan snaps.

"You woke up sort of startled," Phil replies shyly because of the tone of Dan's reply, and Dan notices.

"I'm sorry," Dan apologizes right away.

Phil stands up and straightens out his clothes, as well as running a hand through his hair. "Your parents are here."