Chapter Seventeen

Word Count: 2240

Chapter Seventeen

To: Phil xx
Where are you? The late bell just rang...

Dan stands outside the school gates, listening as the late bell rings. Students rush through the front doors, trying to make it to class before the lesson starts. Dan shakes his head.

He'd been like that before. It was his first year of high school, and he never once had a tardy. Now? Dan couldn't care less about having a tardy. Hence the reason he is still standing outside.

From: Phil xx
I'm not coming to school...

Dan doesn't waste time with texting and just calls Phil. As soon as Phil answers, Dan asks, "Why aren't you coming to school?"

"Um," Phil hesitates. Then he coughs.

"You're sick," Dan states, leaning against the school gate.

"No," Phil answers too quickly. "I'm not, I just"-cough-"breathed in...cinnamon."

"Really?"

Phil sniffs. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"You shouldn't lie Phil. You suck at it."

Phil scoffs, "I am not!"

Dan sighs. "Are your parents home?"

"No. My dad's working, and my mom had some charity event to hold. Neither of them will be back until after four."

"Good. I'm coming over," Dan tells Phil and starts heading in the direction of Phil's house.

"Dan, you have school."

"It's one day, Phil. Plus, my sick boyfriend needs someone to take care of him. That someone is going to be me."

Dan doesn't wait to hear more protesting from Phil before ending the call.

Dan stops at the store on the way to Phil's. Dan picks up a box of hot chocolate, various chocolates, popcorn, and ice cream.

His next stop is Phil's house. He knocks lightly on the door before opening it. He sighs and shakes his head. Dan locks the front door behind him, like it should've been. What if someone broke in? Oh wait...

Dan seeks out Phil, the bag of "supplies" in his hand. First he checks the first floor. When Dan doesn't find Phil there, he goes up to Phil's room. Dan lets himself in (after knocking first of course...).

"Hey babe," Dan greets smiling.

Dan sits on the edge of Phil's bed, where Phil is wrapped in blankets like a burrito. Phil rolls his eyes at Dan.

"Go ahead. Say it."

Dan scoots closer to Phil's head. Dan smirks. "I told you, you were gonna get sick."

Phil sighs. "How come your not sick?"

"Phil, I don't get sick."

"Everyone gets sick," Phil replies.

"Not me. Now, we need to either eat this, or I have to put it in the freezer."

Dan pulls out the ice cream and shows it to Phil. Phil scoffs, "I'm not eating that."

"Why not?"

"Dan, I'm sick. Sick people need to eat stuff like soup."

Dan rolls his eyes. Dan puts a hand on Phil's forehead.

"Holy sh-crap!" Phil almost-curses. "Your hands are freezing!"

"I think you have a fever."

"No, your hands are just really cold!"