Chapter Fourteen

Word count: 2785

Chapter Fourteen

Phil doesn't have very many friends. In fact, Lance was his only friend until a few weeks ago. Then there is Dan, who has gone from some boy who lived in his house, to a possible crush, to an enemy, and finally to a friend.

Phil has been hanging out with Dan a lot. Most of the time, Phil just ventures off to that forrest, where he finds Dan or where Dan finds him. Either way, they are together everyday just about. Since Dan was taken off of house arrest, things haven't changed much.

Phil is grateful for that. On the upside, everyone leaves him alone at school now. No one bothers Phil, especially with Dan around. It's nice, though, Phil can't help but feel like Dan's only sticking up for him out of pity or something. It's silly...

Phil is confused by his emotions. Dan has hurt him a few times now, but he still can't help the butterflies he gets whenever he sees Dan. They're doing good as friends, and he doesn't want that to change. But no matter how much he tries to deny it, he still has a crush on Dan.

"Dan stop it," Phil complains. He knows Dan won't take it seriously though, seeing as how there is a grin on Phil's face.

Dan won't stop messing with the pencil Phil holds in his hand. It's making it extremely difficult for Phil to draw anything.

"Okay," Dan says.

"Good."

"I wasn't finished. I was going to say, okay, if you talk to me."

"This takes concentration."

"I need attention!" Dan exclaims, and Phil rolls his eyes without saying anything.

Dan sighs loudly next to Phil. Phil looks up, watching as leaves fall from the trees, landing on top of the water in the river. They float down the river smoothly. The current isn't rough today.

Dan has now taken to saying Phil's name over and over again, like a child.

Phil groans. "Fine!"

Phil sets his sketch pad down beside him on the log they are sitting on, and he stands up. Phil looks at Dan while saying, "What do you wanna say?"

"I'm bored."

Phil knows the face he makes says, "I'm so done with your shit." Dan knows it too, which is why a huge grin stretches over his face.

"Do something with me. Please?" Dan says, standing up.

"Like what?"

"Um.. I don't know. I was hoping you could help figure something out."

Phil shakes his head and goes to sit back down, but Dan grabs his arms and pulls so that he can't. Phil pulls back, and it becomes almost like a game of tug-a-war. Except, Dans hands slip, and, combined with the force of his tug, he stumbles backwards.

Phil's eyes widen, and he reaches out and grabs Dan by the shirt. It's too late though, and Dan has already stepped off the edge of the river. He's going down. Phil is gripping so tightly onto Dan's shirt that he is dragged down with Dan. Both of them fall into the water.

Dan doesn't even have time to process what's happening until he hits the icy water, making his breath hitch in his throat. The panic starts bubbling in Dans chest, and he thrashes around frantically. He manages to surface pretty quickly, and he is hyperventilating the second he is able to take a breath.

Everything is blurry, but he can't tell if it's because he got water in his eyes or if he's going to have a panic attack.

Phil surfaces a few seconds after Dan. Phil can't understanding Dan is so panicked, seeing as they're able to stand in the water. Even standing it goes up to their shoulders though. Concern and confusion are readable on Phil's face.