Chapter Twenty-Five

Word Count: 1976

Chapter Twenty-Five

"You're in your final year of required schooling. It is up to you to figure out what you are doing with your lives after graduation. Do you want to go to university? University is very expensive, but we can help you with your education. All you have to do is serve four years with us, and we will pay for all of your schooling," the recruiter begins to wrap his speech up.

"What a better way to show support and pride for your country than to join the military. As new recruits, the chances for getting deployed to a major war zone are lower. That will not be a huge concern. We need anyone we can get; especially you big strong men."

People start whispering to one another after he finishes up. It's mostly the girls who seem upset, but Dan gets it. That speech was kind of sexist. Way to get as many people as you can to join. Dan rolls his eyes. 

The recruiter hands his microphone off to the school counselor, who initiates the applause that echoes around the room.

"If you're interested, I will have flyers for you, and some forms to fill out at my office. Thank you."

The whole room slowly begins to empty as students file out of the auditorium. Dan stands up right away with Phil's hand in his, but Phil pulls him back down onto the chairs.

"What are you doing?" Dan asks, looking at Phil in a curious manner.

"Wait 'till the crowd dies out."

Dan sighs, but he silently agrees by staying put. Dan and Phil go to relatively small school, joining only 500 others in their forced quest for education. The crowd slowly dissipates, until a few stragglers get up off the bleachers at last, such as Dan and Phil.

"Have fun at P.E." Phil says as soon as they get to the end of the hallway.

"Probably not," Dan replies, hating how he has P.E. everyday.

"See you in a few hours."

Since they have to walk in two different directions they split up now. Phil leans over and kisses Dan's lips once quickly. Phil begins to walk away, only letting go of Dan's hand when his arm can't stretch anymore.

Phil meanders down the hallway and turns to the right when he reaches the end of it. He stops at his locker on his way to his Geography class to pick his notebook.

"Hey old buddy." It's the unmistakable voice of the notorious Cole. "Long time since we last 'chatted.' It's a shame your boy toy has been around lately; we had a schedule. Remember? Where is your boy toy? Finally split up? Too gay for his liking?"

"Shut up!" Phil says, agitated. "Why can't you just leave me alone. I've never done anything to you; you can't pick on me anymore."

"Why? Because your boyfriend will beat me up? Guess what Phil, I know a friend of his named Marcus. Why don't you ask Dan about him? Not even Dan will want to mess with him."

"It's not because Dan will do anything. It's because I won't tolerate it anymore."

Cole gets into Phil's face now, pushing his back against the locker. Cole grabs Phil's face and squishes his cheeks together.