Chapter Twenty

Word Count: 1700

Chapter Twenty

Dan wakes up what feels like days later. By looking out the window, Dan can tell it is cold outside. The plants have frost on them, but there is still no snow, which is surprising for December.

Dan wants to get up, but the tube in his arm and chest prevents it.

Dan isn't able to ponder on that thought long because to his left a door opens. Phil comes in holding a cup in one hand.

When Phil turns around, he smiles upon seeing Dan awake. "Hey you."

"Hey," Dan replies, his voice scratchy sounding.

Phil walks over to Dan and sits down on the edge of the bed. He takes a clear plastic cup off the tray next to Dan and offers what seems to be water to Dan. Dan takes the cup gratefully and takes a sip of the cool water.

"What time is it?" Dan asks, handing the cup back to Phil.

"Nine thirty or something like that. You've been out for a little over twenty four hours. I blame whatever they sedated you with."

Dan laughs, which turns into a cough. "You have to take it easy alright? They pumped a liter of water out of your lungs. You should really try to stay out of the hospital, not in it."

Dan nods, but isn't surprised. He was about to give up on life when he was under the water. Obviously some water got into his lungs; he was drowning.

The door opens again and Dan's mum and dad walk into the room, smiling as well when they see Dan awake.

"Hey, sweetie," Sabrina says, placing her purse on an empty chair.

"I'll go get the release papers," Michael says, leaving the room again.

"Are you ready to go home?" Sabrina asks, sitting down.

"No, I wanna stay here forever," Dan jokes, earning a shove from Phil. "Hey!"

Phil rolls his eyes. "Stop being a big baby."

"I am the one in the hospital," Dan mutters with a put on his lips.

Dan's mum and Phil begin laughing. Soon though, Sabrina leaves the room to go find her husband so that she can help with the paper work.

Phil picks up Dan's hands and starts drawing patterns on his palm. "I should've listened to you better..."

Dan frowns and tries to sit up more. "What are you talking about?"

"When Nick showed up, I just sat there. I could've left, but I didn't. If I had, you wouldn't-"

"Phil, don't blame yourself," Dan interrupts. "It wasn't anywhere near your fault."

Phil sighs. "It wasn't your fault either. So don't you dare blame yourself." Phil says sternly.

Dan has no idea why Phil would say that. It's as if Phil has some sort of sixth sense that tells him exactly how Dan feels. Unless...

"Hey, what exactly did Nick say to you?" Dan asks suddenly. To try and cover up the weirdness of his asking, he adds, "I heard some of it, and that didn't sound very nice. Did he say anything further than just the usual threat?"

Phil shakes his head but avoids eyes contact. "Nope. He didn't say anything else."

Dan bites his lip but nods. He can't help but think about what Nick had said to him the other day.

"You're not good for him and you know it. You know what I think? He'll go to uni, and he'll be successful in life. But you? Well, you'll just drag him down! "