Chapter 28 - Mya

Lipgloss = A glossy lip product that pulls attraction to the lips. Lipgloss is easier to wear than lipstick because it's not as saturated in colour and gives more of a sheen of colour, if it has any colour at all. Only downside, most of them are a little sticky.

So far, so good. Amber seems to be pretty good being at the event. She was a little nervous at first and at one point I thought she was going to turn around, step out of the line and go back to the rooms. But, in the end, we made it inside the main halls. It was super busy there, so we quickly met up with Luuk and Troy, and it's a lot quieter here. We can just hang out for a while, hopefully get Amber used to everything, or maybe we can use this place as a fallout base, always coming back here so we can always find each other.

It's fun to see Troy totally geek out about the new strategy game and about miniature games in general. I knew that Luuk was into them, he'd told me about it some time back, but I had no idea how easy it is to get someone new into the hobby.

Luuk is currently showing Troy models from the tabletop version of the game and I'm watching them as Amber starts to pull back from the rest a little.

I reach out to her, taking her hand. "Are you okay?"

She shrugs, giving me a soft smile, but it's a little off, it doesn't feel real. "I guess."

"You want to go elsewhere? We can go outside or something for a while." If she needs help, I'll help her however I can.

She quickly shakes her head. "I'm okay. I'm just not ready to go to a loud place right now. It's... It's loud enough in here."

I nod. "That's okay." It's not like I have to be someplace. I can stay here with her. I'll check out some of the other games later. We've got two days to check everything out, so I can wait a little longer before I make my rounds in the main hall. That, and just being with her is good.

"If you want to check some games out, you can, you know. I'll be fine here." Amber squeezes my hand a little. "Really, I'll be fine."

I shake my head. "Nah. I'm good here. I've got all the time in the world."

"Mya..." Amber gives me a look that doesn't look very happy and I smile at her.

"Really. I just want to check out some games but they'll be here all weekend, so there's no rush. I'll look at them later."

"If you want to check them out, just go. You don't have to babysit me." There's an edge to her voice now. "We don't have to be together all the time. We can do our own things."

"I know." But I also don't really want to leave her alone... "I just... I want to spend time with you." Which is the best I can come up with.

She looks at me, frowning even more. "We don't have to spend every moment together. We've got all the time in the world, but this event is only for the weekend."

"But I like to?" That doesn't seem to convince her either.

"We can spend time again later, it doesn't all have to happen right now. If there's somewhere else you want to be, just go." She drops my hand and steps back, something coming down behind her eyes. "I'll be fine here. You go do your thing."

"Amber..." I have no idea how to explain myself to her now, not when she looks like that, angry, upset, like I betrayed her somehow.

"No." She shakes her head. "Don't baby me."

"I'm not—" I don't do it on purpose. I'm trying not to do it, but it's obvious that things are going wrong right now.

"You are." She turns around, her back to me, her voice rough, harsh. "Just... Go do your thing. I'm not going anywhere. It's not like I've got other places to be."