Chapter 15 - Amber

Neurodiversity = Neurological Diversity = The idea that diversity in neurological pathways isn't inherently an illness or a disorder but that, like other diversities such as sexual diversity or ethnicity, it's a normal part of nature. Neurodiversity doesn't look from a medical point of view of something to 'cure' but that they are full human beings and that the best way to help them is by teaching them coping skills and helping their environment to adapt to their needs instead of forcing them to adhere to neurotypical standards.

My heart is racing as Mya holds me, her grip around me strong, but instead of feeling more overwhelmed, of her adding to it, it feels like she's pushing everything away. Like she's pushing out the overwhelm and instead fills me with calm, with this sensation of her. I don't even know how to explain it to myself, but it feels good, it feels safe. Her steady breath on my shoulder, her heartbeat against my back...

Having everyone around, even though they're nice, it was getting to be a bit too much. I was trying to decide if what I was doing was okay, if I didn't ask the wrong questions or just pulled a strange face. I was so stressed before I left the house today, that I was already running low on energy, so I need to take a little time off, to relax for just a few moments. Having Mya around isn't the same, she doesn't make me feel overwhelmed.

"I used to come here with my parents." Mya's voice is soft, soothing. "When I was little, we'd go for walks here, when the weather was good. I have many memories of this forest. Though, it's different now, not the same." She lets out a low laugh, and my heart skips a beat at how happy she sounds. "Maybe I've just grown older and the memories are simply of my childish view of the world, not the way I see things now."

I nod a little, reaching up and putting my hands over her arms, holding her there. "We didn't come here a lot. There's a forest closer to my home where we always used to go. We could walk there for hours. Just me, Dad and Mum. At least, I remember it that way." I smile, I never really thought about that, those experiences, from when I was little. "In the fall, we would go search for conkers and in the summer we'd just go on long walks."

Mya laughs again, slowly swaying side to side, and I don't know if she does it on purpose or if she just moves with me, but it's a slow and soothing swaying. "Yep, we did too. And sometimes we'd go out here in the spring to watch the new leaves and the spring flowers. It was usually really cold though."

I look around us, at the trees and the leaves and the small things that move all around us. How calming it all is. "Thank you."

"Not that I'm not happy to be thanked, but for what?" Mya stills and I feel her soft laugh against my skin.

"For inviting me, for taking me to the party, and for coming out here with me because I asked." Not everyone would be so accepting, so easily letting me pull them away from their friends, just because I'm feeling overwhelmed.

"Of course." She tightens her grip around me for a moment and then slides back, standing up, and reaches out to me, grinning. "You say the words. Honestly."

I take her hand and smile back at her. "Thanks."

"Always. Anyway, are you up for some snacking and drinks? I think they'll have the barbecue ready by now." She looks back into the forest, the way we'd come, where her friends are.

"Yes." I nod, grounding myself for a moment. "Let's go back." I'm ready for it now. I'm ready to face the others again. I'm okay. I can deal with it.

"Good." She tugs on my arm for a moment. "And if you need another break, just tell me. We'll go for another walk. Maybe even an actual walk this time." She winks and my stomach twists funnily. Is that an invitation to something more, or is she joking about not really having gone for a walk this time?