Chapter 1 - Amber

Vlogging = Video logging = A method of keeping a log or a type of diary through videos. This type of video content is especially popular with gaming, makeup and similar subjects that you can easily talk about in front of a camera and where adding video to the audio adds extras to the content. I've been doing makeup vlogging for a few years now, I've realised that no matter how scary I find talking to people face-to-face, talking to camera is by far not as scary, even when I know that people will be watching it later.

"Don't forget to like, subscribe and leave a comment below. I'll see you next time. Love you all." I wave at the camera, taking a few seconds, and then I turn the camera off. This was the third time I had to film the outro of the video, but it can't be helped. Sometimes... Sometimes things just don't work out the way I thought they would. Three times to film one section isn't even too bad, in the grand scheme of things.

I take the camera from the holder and connect it to my computer, starting the process of loading all the videos onto my computer as I put away the rest of my filming set up. I sort all the makeup that I've used in the video and put them away in their own drawers and baskets and things like that. Luckily, I already wrote them down before I started filming because I've too often put them away and then I'd have to hunt them all down again when I wanted to put the 'items used' in the description of the video.

If I at least keep everything organised, then finding things I need is much, much easier. I open a drawer with eyeshadow palettes, putting the one I used today into it, and then taking a look at the few at the front that I haven't tried out yet. There have been quite a few new collections out in the last couple of weeks, and I haven't been able to catch up on reviewing and trying everything yet. But I know that my viewers don't really mind, they prefer a comprehensive video about what you can do with a palette over one that is about the latest items just to be one of the first ones to talk about it. Mine is more of a 'how to' channel than a 'review' channel in that way.

I pick up two palettes that I've been using a lot lately, and put them on top of the dresser for the next video. With the fall season coming up, I want to do a fall makeup video, showing off some of my favourite colour combinations and choices for the colder months.

I take the filming rig from the table, putting it away too, since the table that I film on is also my desk, and then I turn off the bright lights. I still live at my parents' place and since I don't have a dedicated video location, I have to build up the 'studio' every time I make a new video. It's a bit of a hassle, but at the same time, it also helps me to keep everything separate in my head. I record the video material, making sure I get everything the way I want it, with all the extra shots that I'll need, and as I wait for the videos to load on the computer, I take the whole filming rig down before I get behind my computer and make a cohesive video out of the material. Creating boundaries between planning, creating, editing and then uploading and sharing the video really helps me to not worry about everything, to not have it bleed into each other, and it helps me to make sensible decisions at every step of the creation process.

Taking a deep breath, I get behind my computer. The videos have now been uploaded to it, and I load them into the video editor, having to wait again for that to process what I've made. I grab my planner from my bag, and cross off 'filming' under this week's video. Or, at least, this specific video for this week.

There's only so many things that I can plan and do for each week, between classes and being social on social media and filming the videos... It's all... It can get all a little overwhelming how much time it takes and how little time there is in a day or a week. But no matter how difficult and exhausting it sometimes is, I like it. It makes me feel good about myself and what I can do. So no matter how hard it sometimes is... I keep going.