Chapter XII

"Alright. Start talking," Rey prompts, interrupting your meditation in the forest.

"Straight to it, huh?" You joke but Rey doesn't smile. "Right," you nod then move so Rey can sit next to you. "Where do you want to begin?"

"From the beginning," she says. "How did you know? Or did you chose?"

"I knew since I was a child that I had the Force. I used to pick up objects with it and do little things like that. I tried to figure out what it was but it wasn't like I had anybody to ask on Jakku. I knew of the stories about the Empire and the war. I knew of the Jedi and of the Sith and I wondered if I possessed the same ability as they did. I wanted to know more but it was difficult. When I got old enough, I ask a mercenary if they'd be able to track down some texts of Jedi and Sith. I was willing to trade, which they accepted. I managed to rebuild an old gun from the Galactic Civil War with some enhancements on it and that was more than enough for them. I got the texts but I also got another one."

"The Book of Balance."

"You saw that, huh?"

"Yes."

"Did you read it?"

"No. I saw the book and your notes. You did a lot of studying."

"I did," you nod. "I learned about the Jedi, the Sith, and the Gray Jedi. I read the texts of the Jedi and it was moral and good but it didn't feel just. I read the texts of the Sith and it was powerful and progressive but too destructive. I then read the texts of the Gray Jedi and it felt right. It was a perfect balance of Light and Dark - walking the line of both without swaying either way. To me, the Gray Jedi are the ones to actually bring balance to the Force."

"But they use the power of the Dark Side."

"Yes, exactly because that IS balance. There is no light without darkness. There is no good without evil. There will always be good and evil so it's up to the Gray Jedi to harness both the Light and the Dark Side to balance it."

"Aren't you scared?"

"Of what?"

"Falling to the Dark Side?"

"No," you shake your head. "I know the balance. I know how to apply both ways without succumbing to either. When I read about the Gray Jedi, I felt like that's where I needed to be and that's what I needed to study. I continued to study the ways of the Jedi and of the Sith but my primary focus was on the Gray Jedi. Unfortunately, there are no Gray Jedi Masters left, as far as I know. I learned and meditated as much as I could with books alone. It was difficult but I believe that I got there eventually."

"Got where?"

"To being a Gray Jedi. I'm not sure what rank I am since I have had no training from anyone but me."

"You know how to use your lightsaber. When did you make that?"

"On Jakku. I read that every Gray Jedi must have their own lightsaber to protect the Force and maintain its balance. The mercenary that gave me the books about the Jedi gave me a book about lightsabers and how to construct them. I found bits and pieces that I thought I could use to construct my own lightsaber. It took me a while since I had to find the right pieces and mould them to fit one another and maintain its hold. It took me months but I eventually made one."

"Where did you find a kyber crystal?"

"On Jakku as well. I was searching for months whilst building my lightsaber and I was just about to give up until I found one. It was sitting in an abandoned cave amongst other little prized possessions someone once owned. There were a lot of valuable things there but the most valuable was the crystal. I wondered if the person that owned it knew exactly what it was but it wasn't like their skeleton was able to tell me. So, I took it and once my lightsaber was constructed, I inserted the crystal and it worked."