38: A Search for Steve {Crossover}

Comenzar desde el principio

"They are using it as a bait. Whoever they are, they want you to think it's RedSkull so that you will be involved in searching for him and not them. By now, they would be thinking they have beem successful considering it's already been two weeks. They would be thinking that you're looking everywhere for Red Skull because you haven't gotten to them. Little do they know that you haven't been doing that either. Just searching aimlessly for two weeks" Sherlock's words made the others look down, with guilt "But a good criminal is never impatient. Three weeks, maximum. He will wait a week more. He is a hiding, that is why we cannot find him. Once he is satisfied to his hearts content, he will csrry out with his activities because by then, we will make sure he believes that we've given up search for the Captain" Sherlock and Tony exchanged a look as the Genius nodded at the Mastermind in understanding.

"How about we make a press release tomorrow? We tell everyone that Steve has left The Avengers and has resorted to living a normal life?" Sam suggested.
"No. No. Firstly, that excuse is- well, not the best. He is Captain America, he has a powerful serum injected in him and has no other goals to achieve in life except for being a warrior, everyone would catch on that. Why would he leave his one and onlt home?" John Watson spoke.

The mention of the word 'home' left a painful taste in Tony's mouth. He missed his home. He missed Steve.

"Secondly, making a press release tomorrow is too early. You all are the Avengers, no one thinks you would give up. No on think you'd give up so easily that you'd make a press release on it. No. That would only raise suspicion" John concluded as the others nodded.
"Then, what should be done?' Clint asks.
"John, honey, you have any suggestions?" Sherlock asked his boyfriend who tried not to blush. How many times do I have to explain to this man not to address me like that while on duty!?
"Uh-uh, yes" John managed to stutter out as the other people in the room smiled at how adorable the two could be "We have to make it slow. We have to do something through our actions that makes people, press and the government question about where Steve is. In very simple words, we don't tell them, they have to ask us" John looked around as everyone gave him a serious look. Shit, he was good.
"I am so proud of you" Sherlock whispered in his ears, closing up oh him and gave him a peck on the cheek.
"So, as my future husband said. We have to do just that. And in case, someone is still not quite grasping it. They laid down a bait for us, we lay down one for them" Sherlock gave them all smile as the others felt a lot of weight drop down from their hearts.

All except one. The one who didn't even really feel his heart since the past few weeks because the reason his heart felt alive was gone and it seemed to him, that his heart was gone with the reason as well.
______________________________________________

Three days have gone by with Sherlock and Dr Watson staying at the Avengers Compound. In these three days, the Avengers and SHIELD have done everything they possibly could to draw attention to the fact that the Captain was missing. And it seemed like the plan was working. Fury had been called today by the Board of Directors to talk about something 'obviously wrong' whereas Tony was to attend an interview tonight that was 'specifically' going to be about the Avengers.

Tony was all dressed, walking out of the compound when he stopped by the living room watching John and Sherlock cuddle on the love seat. He smiled. He had grown fond of the two.

"You know, John. I would've never been able to bear if I were Tony and you were Steve, you know?" Sherlock's words caught Tony's attention.
"I know right. It's sad that the Tony is in denial" John replied.
"Let's get married the very second we get back home!" Sherlock proposed making the latter laugh slightly.
"C'mon, Sherl. You're taking it to your head" John flicked Sherlock's forehead.

"No, John. I'm taking it to my heart. You mean a lot to me. And we- we almost do the exact same thing as these Avengers do. Just that our work requires brain and theirs, the body. I still can't forget that night you were trapped in fire or that time left to drown in the well. All because of being my partner. John, as much as you're my greatest strength, you're my only weakness now as well. My Only Weakness. And I proudly own that. People would come at you from all sides to drag me. And I can't bear that. Let's just get married, settle down somewhere quiet and end all this detective work. We can do something else. Earn some other way. Your blog! We can update it daily!" Sherlock's words hit John in the heart as he looked at the man he loved with tears in his eyes. John turned, cupping Sherlock's face in his palms.