Twenty One

It was easy to convince Jess to let her go with Mal on their school trip. There was no suspicion on her part, and Mal was so happy she was going with them. Nova felt like shit because she knew she was using them, and if Jess ever knew about it, she would never forgive her. She didn't think she could forgive herself, either. Jess called her teacher, and everything was set. Vicious was going to send the package for Nova before they get on the bus.

Throughout the night, she couldn't sleep. His threat was hanging on her neck like a noose. She willingly gave herself a role that she couldn't take back. This was not something she could easily change her mind about; this was a real deal. It hits her that this was a life or death situation, and it was all she could do to hold herself upright.

The next morning didn't come easy. She picked up Mal and drove to her school. Mal tried to get me to listen to all the things she wanted to do today, but when you're about to do something that could land you in jail and mixed with betraying your friend's trust, everything was sour, and peace seemed to be so far away from you. Nova wanted to tell herself that she could do this, but even the most confident people often faltered.

The school bus; a yellow vehicle with black detailing and the name of the school painted on the side was parked in front of the elementary school. A few kids' faces were pressed against the window, and the woman Nova presumed was their teacher was standing by the door, a clipboard in hand. She was ticking off the names of the kids that were lined in front of her before she let them climb into the bus.

Mal let go of her hand and ran to her friend who was already standing on the line, and Nova was left to check in with her teacher first, Mrs Elliot. Another woman was standing next to her; a volunteering parent that Mrs Elliot had informed her about. She greeted them.

"You must be Ms Hunt. This is Mrs Charity McCarthy. She will be joining us today."

Nova nodded and offered a smile. "Nice to meet you both. Do you know when we would be leaving?"

"In ten minutes; we're just waiting for two other students to show up. If you want, you can get on the bus now."

She shook her head with a smile that didn't seem to linger on her lips for long. In ten minutes they would be leaving, and if the package didn't show up in ten minutes, what would all this be for? That would be the start of a nightmare.

"I'm just—" she pointed a finger behind her, the smile back on her face. "going to make a phone call first."

"Sure! I will call you when we are about to leave."

Across the street, parked discreetly was that familiar black sleek car. Vicious was leaning against his car, waiting for her. His presence wasn't something she had expected to see but wasn't surprised. She checked behind her, but no one was paying any attention to her before she started crossing over to him.

"Vicious," she greeted when she reached him.

Leaned against the door, he regarded her impassively. "Nova," he mimicked with the same tone; soft and full of mockery. "Thought you'd chicken out."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "Do you have it?" she chose to ask instead, and he wasn't prepared for that dismissal when his brows arched slightly. He neither confirmed nor say anything before he straightened and went to the trunk of the car. He walked back to her with a blue cooler box.