Fifteen

He texted her to meet him in a bar, one Nova had never been to. She had no clue why he wanted her here, what crazy scheme he had prepared for her. The bar was located downtown; small and authentic, but not exactly the place she would find him at. She guessed Ghost would prefer somewhere a little loud and a little crazy to match his personality.

It wasn't surprising that she was quick to point him out lurking in the shadows considering there were only eight people in the bar, but she managed not to approach him. He wasn't alone in his table; a dark-haired woman sat opposite him, grinning at whatever he was saying and nodding her head like she was ready to agree with anything that came out of his mouth. Nova narrowed her eyes, unwelcome jealousy tightening her gut.

She didn't walk over to them. No, she would rather let him finish his conversation. The bartender gave her the water she ordered, and Nova could feel her jaw clenching and unclenching, as her breaths were becoming faster and more shallow as the minutes ticked by.

Someone sat at empty stool beside her. She didn't have to look. She knew exactly who it was. Even if she hadn't already expected it, she would recognise the way the oxygen felt like it was being sucked out of her and the way her toes tingled, and the musky scent of his.

Nova took a sip of her water, aware that he was leaning closer to her, could practically feel his breath on her shoulder and goosebumps travelled their way down to her arms.

"Who is she?"

He chuckled, and she could see some of his face out the corner of her eyes as he propped his elbow on the bar ledge. "You sound jealous," he commented above a whisper but sounded loud enough in her ears.

She scoffed in retaliation. "Not really. Just curious, that's all. No need to make it something that it isn't." She finally levelled him with a gaze. He was dressed simply tonight; dark jeans and a grey shirt that tightened his shoulders.

He just gave her a knowing look, his gaze drifting from her eyes down to her sleeveless dress, the v neck exposing her cleavage. "Aight. Let's say I believe you."

"What am I doing here?"

"Someone gave me an intel about a guy who could know the whereabouts of Vipers, so I'm here to shake him until I find answers. And I called you because I needed company, and also to avoid looking suspicious. I don't exactly look like I give out candies."

"You seem to be doing fine two minutes ago."

Ghost made a noise of displeasure. "Yup, but it's you I called, so it's you I want." His eyes trailed on her like he always did, and she felt heat kiss it's way down the back of her neck.

Nova's throat gave a small clear. "So, your intel; is he sure about the guy?"

"He is, and check him over there." Their knees knocked together when he shifted closer and looked past her right shoulder. "That's him."

Hers followed his to the guy sitting at least five tables away from them, drinking alone. She turned back to Ghost. "Well, let's go."

"No." His hand closed over hers, as tingles gathered and shot straight between her legs. He leaned back again, but their legs still touch, the heat of his skin through the fabric of his jeans was extremely distracting and created a sensation.

He continued in a low voice, "The bar is owned by a member of Vipers. If he sees me walk up to that guy, we're both going to get gunned down before we get to the question part. The only reason why I'm breathing is that they don't know what I look like."