Thirty Eight

Nova turned in for her shift.

The first few hours of her shift were busy as most of their regulars kept them busy at that time. Her co-worker, Carla, paused beside her and nudged her with her elbow to get her attention. Nova looked up from the coffee machine and followed her gaze across the dinner to find Vicious sliding into an empty table. He didn't look over at her as he flipped the menu.

Carla thrust her a coffee pot along with a mug before Nova approached his table and stopped a few feet away. Vicious flipped the menu closed and stared up at her, his mouth splitting into a sexy grin as he ran his hand down the front of his leather jacket. Nova immediately noticed the odd energy surrounding him. He looked distressed and fidgety. He didn't need to tell her that. She had spent time with him to know when something was bugging him. She recognized the signs in his behaviour; the tension in his shoulders, in his jaw, and the way he played with his rings.

Smiling, she poured coffee into his mug and slid into the booth across from him. She didn't even care that her boss would frown when he sees her. Leaning forward with her stomach pressed against the table, her hand touched his hair as she ruffled it softly.

"What's the matter, baby?" she cooed, then leaned back against her seat.

Vicious raked his fingers through his hair to fix where she had ruffled before clasping his hands tightly together. "I wanted to come to see you. How's work?"

Nova didn't believe he just came for that. He was trying to put off what was really bothering him. "I don't believe you came over here to ask me that when you could have called or texted. What's really going on, Vic? Got any news about Screw?" It had been a week now, but they were still looking. Still trying to find answers. Vicious had kept himself busy, and Nova couldn't see him all the time. She felt put off, but that was what she got for wanting her brother avenged. She knew she couldn't make both men happy.

"I just wanted to see you," he repeated his words, and she frowned. When he added, she got increasingly nervous. "Okay." He sighed and lowered his head before meeting her eyes. "I have to meet someone and I'm not sure how it's going to end." Now he brought the mug to his lips and took a sip, watching her reaction.

She blinked, confused for a moment. "Then, why do you have to go at all, or do you need me to tag along and hold your hand?" She smiled when he chuckled, finding it amusing.

"Don't worry about it."

She smiled, but the way her eyebrows arched revealed her uncertainty. "Are you sure? Because I could have someone cover my shift. I miss going to meetings with you. I kind of feel empowered every time we do something like this. Don't laugh at me."

"I'm not," he said, but he was still chuckling. "And as for the meeting, you have your work, remember? I can't pull you from it just because you feel like I need support. I'm worried about a completely different thing. I'm worried about the results."

He was hiding something from her, and that was scary. Nova didn't want to push, but she felt like she should. Part of being with each other meant they could rely on one another and share each other's worries and fears. Although, she had not been great in either. However, she still wanted to be here for him.

"Nova."

She cocked her head, smiling. "Hm?"

"How deep are your feelings for me?"

It made her laugh, his question, which she wondered how many times he wanted to hear her talk about her feelings for him. Did he doubt it? Was he scared to lose her so he needed her assurance? But she would still tell him. Nova clutched his hand in hers to assure him. "Very deep."