savior- steve rogers (part 2)

Start from the beginning

"It was on instinct!" you fired back in reply. "How else would you expect me to act? To run away from the scene and leave you be?"

"Y/N," he let out a frustrated sigh and ran a hand through his dirty blonde hair, "I'm telling you I don't need your protection. I don't need you to save me or feel obligated to protect me, because I'm fine on my own. I can handle things myself well enough."

"Don't you think I know that already?" you snapped, whirling around to face him so fast that your hair almost whipped you in the face. "But your life was on the line and I wasn't about to just stand there and do nothing about it! You were going to die, Steve! And you think I wouldn't care about what happened to you? No!"

"Maybe that's what I wanted you to do! Maybe I wanted you to leave me be, so I could deal with it myself instead of the situation resulting in you getting hurt. You threw yourself right into the middle of danger's road without a second thought, and your reckless decisions landed you in trouble," he said in between gritted teeth in a stern tone. "You're always feeling as if you have to jump in and save the day, but you really don't. I can take care of myself, and you shouldn't be worrying about me."

"I have the right to, dammit!" you yelled, and he winced slightly when he heard your voice crack. "Whether you can take care of yourself or not, I don't care. What matters is that you almost got killed out there, for God's sake! Do you think I'd be able to live with you dead? I would never be able to forgive myself if you died on my watch. I'd be living with that burden on my shoulders until the day I die."

"It isn't any easier for me either! You could've been the one who died!" his voice raised several notches, making you take a step back at the noise. "If that bullet had hit a vital organ you wouldn't be here right now. God, if you hadn't woken up-"

"And if you had died, I couldn't live with that fact! I can't live a life without you in it," you choked on a sob, "I don't even want to imagine what that's like."

The hardened expression on his face softened when he saw your eyes beginning to water with tears and you bit your lip, trying to keep yourself from breaking down in front of him. He reached out to touch your face but you pushed it away, letting your hand fall down limply by your side.

"You're always trying to keep me safe and for once, just once, I had to protect you too," you whispered, your eyes burning as you struggled to keep your tears at bay. "For once, I had to protect you, because you're always protecting me. I can't live without you. I can't. And I don't want to-"

You broke down into heaving sobs before you even had a chance to finish up the rest of what you were saying. And when he circled his arms around your torso and pulled you into a warm embrace you didn't try to pull yourself away from him, instead allowing yourself to relax into his touch and letting your arms slide around his waist and holding on tightly as well.

"I'm sorry," you mumbled into his chest, feeling his T-shirt growing damp from your tears, "I-"

He cut you off by tilting your chin up before placing a hand on your cheek and pressing his lips to yours.

It was right then that the sun began setting. The yellow ball of fire hung low on the horizon, steadily changing into a soft tangerine hue before merging with the sky. It was almost as if it was dissolving, the sun slowly leaking into the sky around it as the evening wore on, as if someone had taken sidewalk chalk and smudged the colors together with their fingers. Cotton-candy clouds dotted the vast expanse and silhouettes of birds flew across as fiery rays of light were cast down onto the earth. As it grew closer to dusk, everything blended into a deep shade of violet before giving way to a thousand little stars that twinkled like diamonds and glowed like the embers of a dying flame.

You rested your head back on his broad chest when you pulled away, his gaze never leaving you as he kept you wrapped up in his warm arms.

"I'm not mad at you," he murmured against your hair after several minutes passed in silence, "I was simply worried."

"So Buck was right," you sniffed, feeling a significant weight lift off your chest, "you care about people a lot. And that even though you try to act cold-hearted, deep down you have a lot of love. Then when something happens to those you care about you get ticked off."

"All these things I do for you are because I love you, Y/N."

"I love you too."

"Now, try not to pull a stunt like that again, will you?"

"Okay. As long as you do the same. Then I won't attempt to do anything dangerous. For your sake."

You didn't want this moment to end with you in his arms and watching the sun setting over the ocean. You just wanted to stay in the moment forever.

And he found himself wishing the same thing as well.