soulmates- peter parker (part 1)

You shot up in bed, groaning when you heard the alarm go off, an annoying series of beeps that reminded you of screeching cats. Staring at your phone and reaching for it, you clicked it on to check the time.

5:15 a.m.

Wonderful.

Laying back in bed, you stared blankly up at the ceiling, contemplating whether you should really get up or if sleeping for just five more minutes was the better option. It seemed like hours since you last woke up, but every time you checked the clock it would tell you otherwise, that only twenty minutes had passed.

Unfortunately, you had to be up and ready by 6. One of the disadvantages of being a level 8 SHIELD agent and Avenger at the same time, all at the age of eighteen, was that you had to get up every day at the crack of dawn to train. You didn't complain, since you had to do what you needed to do.

You slid your feet in your slippers and trudged to the bathroom to take a quick shower and to brush your teeth. By the time all that was done, the clock read 5:47.

As you were about to walk out, you hesitated and turned back, facing the mirror. Pressing your lips together, you lifted up your shirt slightly to observe the intricate marking on your side, the broken heart carved in your skin.
You'd never gotten a single clue about what it meant. All you knew was that it had first appeared when you were around the age of sixteen.

You simply shrugged it off and slipped on your workout clothes, making your way out of your room and down the hallway to meet Steve for your training session.

"Y/L/N." Nick Fury's voice crackled through your comm. "Steve demands that you get your butt over here."

"Yeah, yeah, got it."

You turned off the comm and dusted your hands off, bandaging up your hands before putting on your boxing gloves.

"Hey," Steve greeted you. "You ready?"

"Ready." You circled each other, waiting for the other to make a move. Nobody did anything for the first few seconds, until he surprised you by punching you in the gut.

A groan left your lips as your body smacked against the mat. You shook your head, a small smile on your lips. "Sorry...wasn't...ready..."

"Gotta be faster, Y/N. Come on." The captain smirked at you before offering you a hand to help you up. You recovered quickly from being knocked back and aimed a kick at his head, only to have your other leg kicked out from underneath you and to be slammed down onto the mat again.

This continued for thirty minutes, and you refused to give up. In the end, you did beat the super soldier a few times but a majority of the time, he'd have to help pull you off of the ground.

"Nice work, Rogers," you congratulated Steve, who gave you a high five as you took a long sip from your water bottle. "You know, for a man out of time, you're pretty good."

"And this is coming from a what, a six year old?" Steve raised an eyebrow at you.

"I'm eighteen. Don't forget, I'm an eighteen year-old, level 8 SHIELD agent, and an Avenger, Cap."

"But did you fight in a world war?" The man questioned.

"I did not, because I wasn't alive at the time," you put emphasis on the word 'alive', "although I have gone on 44 missions, three of them that had to do with going into space with Rocket and the Guardians."

That comment resulted in you getting a jab to the stomach. "Ow!"

Then at that moment, Tony walked in. "Well, well, well, if it isn't the child and the super-soldier."

"I'm not the only teenager here---" You were about to bring Peter, your best friend, into the conversation when you were cut off.

"Quiet, the adult is speaking. You two, meeting room, now. We're meeting over there today. Come on." He gestured for the two of you to follow him up there, where the rest of the team was waiting.

As you came closer and closer to the meeting room, you could feel the mark in your side grow hotter by the second.

"My god..." you muttered, wincing but quickly regaining your composure.

You took your seat at the glass table, leaning back in your chair. "So, as you know," Bruce started, sliding file folders to each of you. "I have a new lab experiment and reports that may prove we could create a new synthetic element which could be used as a power source for the alien technology and for fuel for our jet---"

Fury walked in, looking around. "Director Fury, you're here for...?" the scientist looked over at him.

"I've come to inform you, Y/N, from this point forward, you will become a full-time Avenger, as you have exceeded in your work in SHIELD. Missions are only going to increase in difficulty from now on and we'll need more full-timers, so I trust that you are ready to fill this position?"

"Yes, Director, I am," you nodded, trying to contain your excitement.

"Alright, that's it for now. I'll be going then. Bruce, Tony, make sure to brief them on everything else. I have some unfinished business to attend to." With that, he left.

"Like...playing with the kitty?" Bucky joked, making everyone burst into laughter. Goose was the resident cat of the building, and Fury had taken quite a liking to the feline. It was funny to see him act that way, because he never smiled, except for when Goose was around.

Conversation started up about what the next mission would be about, and you were casually talking to everyone, until you suddenly met Peter's gaze.

Your heart seemed to stop and for a moment, it felt like there wasn't anyone else in the room except for you and him. It confused you, you didn't know what it meant, until you let out a gasp of pain.

Clutching your stomach, you stumbled back, feeling as if something just stabbed you. Steve was the first to his feet when he saw this, helping you up as you struggled to keep your balance and waved him off, claiming that you were perfectly fine and you didn't need help.

You noticed that your mark was glowing, burning a bright white when you lifted your shirt up. "What the hell..." you whispered.

"What's that?" Steve questioned, just as confused as you were.

"I don't know..." You were really confused now.

"Wait," Bruce spoke up.

"Oh, we know what it is. It is extremely rare, and we haven't actually seen it before in person. We've heard of it, though." Thor stated. "Show me again," he ordered, so you lifted the edge of your shirt up again. "Follow me." He and Bruce led you to the labs, and after a few minutes of discussing, came to a conclusion.

"So this is a soul mark," Bruce explained. "Thor, the book, please."

"You really think a thousand year-old book would have the answers to this?" You cocked your head, suspicious.

"Yes, it should," Thor replied.

He flipped through the pages of the ancient Asgardian textbook before stopping at a certain page and reading out, "Soul marks appear as marks on a person's side, first visible when they reach the age of sixteen....Soul marks help soulmates find their way to each other...The mark glows and burns in the proximity of the special someone...allowing the people to feel each others' pain...Once the mark appears the person has until before their nineteenth birthday to find their soulmate...or they will vanish off the face of the earth for eternity...perishing and being sent down to the underworld as a punishment for failing to find their one true love."

"So what you're saying is," you sighed as you pinched the bridge of your nose. "I only have a limited amount of time left here before the Gods are unhappy with me being unable to find my 'true love' and they send me down to hell to suffer?"

"Unfortunately yes," Bruce's voice caused you to look back up. "And you are eighteen, right?"

"I have been for over 11 months now," you admitted sadly, then lowered your voice. "I'm afraid I don't have much time left, a few weeks, tops."

"Don't worry," Thor put a hand on your shoulder, "you'll find them soon enough. Sometimes that one thing, or person, you've been searching for is the one that was right by you all along."