Chapter 97.1: Overworked

7:41 p.m. 12th Zelyr 1092.

7 Days to World's End.

Clang! Clang! Belch!

Aygorzi's underground smithery belched smoke, flames and dust as thousands of dwarfs either pounded away at heavy metals or helped transport needed items from one workstation to another. Dwarfs would never admit it, but they never felt more alive than this moment. The heat of the forge, the fear of an imminent battle. The knowledge that the weapons they crafted would soon determine if its wielder lived or died.

Dwarfs loved the fires of war! Their only wish, however, was to choose which fires to burn in. Thankfully, this time, this was a war the dwarfs were all too willing to take part in. This battle signified a different path for the dwarfs. They had seen it. A future where their talents could be used to create mind-numbing inventions like the skyboats and trains.

The dwarfs were filled with awe whenever they laid eyes on these creations. As long as they made it through this battle... As long as Kashi's troops emerged victorious! A beautiful age of crazy inventions would follow!

"Dwarfs are as hardworking as ever."

"Indeed. I am always awed by their zeal."

Absalon looked at Rider as he replied. He had to repress the shiver that ran up his back. This being's power was not of this world! If he had not received a heads-up from Leila, he would have packed up his army, the dwarfs and then fled this place. To think that Kashi not only knew someone like this, but—he looked at Zuri who walked by their side—also was close enough to leave an ally with them.

Absalon shook his head. He could not get lost in Rider's strength. The fact that Rider was here, proved that he, at least, was not an enemy. Absalon thus decided to treat this as any other meeting. Despite this resolution, the old warrior's eyes perked up when he spotted a female daeben guarding a door.

Absalon released a sigh of relief, and then said, "This is Jade's lab. If she's around, she'll be in here." The daeben bowed, and then opened the door to let them in.

Whooosh!
Smoke, heat, flames and heavy clanging gave way to cold air, wires, boards, and general silence. Five rows of daeben silently worked on inscribing weapons, armors and special materials with runes. Beyond these daeben, was a small group of researchers who chatted softly as they pondered on some fresh issue.

"Jade." Absalon spotted Jade at the centre of these researchers. He softly called out to her as he approached. Luckily, she heard him and excused herself.

"Absalon-san!" Jade greeted once she reached them. "Heard you've been putting the army through the ringer." Giggling, she pointed out, "They're calling you 'Hell's Instructor!'"

Absalon rolled his eyes. "Present pain is better than death on the battlefield. The rookies will appreciate this training very soon." He paused and then gestured to the two behind him. "I didn't come alone. I hear you're already acquainted with them?"

Jade's lips spread in a bright smile when she spotted Rider and Zuri. "Of course! Ah, that's right. You were still in Rosendun when Rider took Zuri and Hektor for training." She looked at Rider with suspicion. "Speaking of which. Where's the hothead? Don't tell me he croaked?"

"No." Rider shook his head. "He should be comple—"

"That's good then! Hopefully we see him before the war." Jade then crouched and grinned at Zuri, who watched her with a wary look. "Hey Zuri! We only met briefly last time. Didn't even get a chance to talk. How's your trip been? Was it great? What did you do? Any new friends? Enemies?" Jade raised her fists. "If you got enemies, name them. We'll wipe 'em out one by on—"