Chapter 71.1: Weight of a Life

Serisis.

3:30 p.m. 21st Banem 1092.

King Chu and the Serians' outburst shook the hall, leaving Kashi and the other guests visibly stunned and at a loss for words. For a good minute, everyone was frozen in place, unable to process the unbelievable sight.

Fortunately, King Parissius snapped out of his shock and immediately ran over to King Chu and pulled the older man up to his feet. "Please, stand!" he pleaded, and then added with a joking tone, "My ancestors would curse me into the ground if they found out I allowed my father-in-law lower his head in my presence."

King Chu, eyes red with tears, snorted and then said as he patted King Parissius' shoulders, "Cheeky brat. Who's your father-in-law?"

"Of course, there's only one man worthy enough of that honor," joked King Parissius with a wink. The young King's attempt to lighten the mood paid off as the room erupted into laughter as the Serians rose to their feet.

"Hoho...Sis, This King sure sounds full of himself."

King Parissius swallowed hard as he looked over to Chu Ling who regarded him with a teasing grin. The fiery princess tapped the table, her gaze lovingly harsh as she said, "You're already calling dad father-in-law. Seems like you're quite excited for this marriage."

If it were anyone else, the young King would have ceded, but ever since they were children, Chu Ling was the one person he hated losing to. So, King Parissius replied with a level gaze. "I get to marry two willing, gorgeous, intelligent, and incredibly strong women. Most men would kill to get my position. You can be certain I will take the necessary steps to secure that future." Turning to King Chu, he said with a wink, "Is that not right... Father."

"Oh-ho-ho," Chu Ling let out a sinister laugh, but luckily, Chu Ming, grabbed her hand, preventing her from carrying out her first instinct. Thanks to her sister's calming touch, Chu Ling managed to collect herself and say instead, "Ah. I cannot wait for the wedding." She then cracked her fingers and threatened, "See how I fix you then."

King Parissius inwardly chuckled. Royal marriages were no small matter. Even with prior arrangement, it could take years until the formal wedding. The more likely scenario was that the princesses were sent as envoys to Rosendun, and only after a few years would the marriage proceed. As a result, King Parissius was quite confident he could use that time to dig out Chu Ling's weaknesses... "Well, that will take a wh—"

"Ah, regarding the topic of marriage," Leila suddenly interjected, causing the young King to panic. The speaker caused a bad feeling to rise in the pit of his stomach. Unfortunately, Leila seemed not to notice his signals as she continued, "I believe we should hold it as soon as possible."

"Wha—*cough*" King Parissius nearly choked on his spit, overwhelmed by the shock.

Surprisingly, however, he was not alone in this. King Chu, likewise found himself overcome by a coughing fit as he glared at the wisben. "What? Why hold the wedding so soon? These things take time!"

Leila did not take the King's criticism to heart. She understood that right now, Chu Tianjo was no king, but an ordinary father unwilling to let go of his precious daughters. The sight dredged up memories of her father lecturing her on the importance of 'marrying right' and political alliances. For the first time that night, a slight wrinkle appeared on the wisben's forehead, but half a second later, she regained her self and maintained her neutral expression.

Only one person in the room caught the brief crack—saw the vulnerable girl hidden behind the powerful persona. Kashi sighed as he squeezed his arm in anger. This was one thing he would never be able to help Leila with. Her father's shadow was just too massive – Not that he was one to help anyone deal with their parents' baggage.