Chapter 83.1: Worthless

CRASH!

CRASH!

Lunette listlessly stared at the system prompt, her eyes vacant and lifeless. She did not react to the shattered glass on the floor, nor the pool of water that soaked her toes. A thousand thoughts ran through her head, all at once, but eventually, they all settled on one image: Kashi's smile when she pulled away from him.

Was that really their last interaction? Was her rejection the last thing Kashi would remember of her? Did Kashi go off alone because of the way she reacted? Surely, he would not have died if the party was there with him. Was she the reason he died? Was this all her fault.

"Lune!" At that moment, Shadow burst into the room, concern and fear in his eyes as he searched the room for his sister. Upon spotting her standing in the corner, he immediately rushed to her side and grabbed her arms. He then carefully looked into her eyes as he asked, "Are you okay?"

Lunette's eyes shook, and then, guilt-laden tears streamed down her face as she said, "I killed him, Shadow. I made him go off on his own and got him killed."

"No." Shadow grimaced, recognizing the pain in his sister's eyes. "You did not kill him." Shaking his head, he rationalized, "First, this is most likely some plot. You know how Kashi is. I would not put it past him." Then, with a hardened gaze, he added, "Even if that is not the case, and he truly is dead, it is certainly not your fault. Kashi always flies close to the sun. It was only a matter of time before he got burned."

Shadow knew from Lunette's empty gaze that she wasn't taking his words to heart. Sighing, he gripped her shoulders, and then said, "I know where he was headed. Let's go see for ourselves."

Lunette's eyes shot open, life returning to them as she questioned with terse excitement, "You know where they are?"

"Yes." Shadow nodded, and then clarified, "I snuck a peek when Brock marked the area on Kashi's map."

Invigorated by this new revelation, Lunette wiped her tears, purpose and fight appearing in a pair of determined eyes. She quickly swapped to a new set of clothes, and then prompted her brother, "Let's go."

The duo, with determined gazes made to leave the room. However, they both received a prompt that caused their brows to draw together in a frown.

 However, they both received a prompt that caused their brows to draw together in a frown