Chapter 29.2: Glashtyn

Glashtyn, Kirkcour Woods.

8:23 pm, 17th Banem 1092.

Kashi's negotiations with the Glashtyn tribe's chief went quicker than any of the previous discussions he'd had. The Glashtyn tribe, as they had suffered longer under the beasts' relentless assaults, had lost a large number of their forces to the monster invasion and itched for vengeance.

Kashi, Darian, and the other generals had to remind the bereaved chief and generals of the Glashtyn tribe of their duty to preserve their bloodline before they relented and allowed some of their soldiers to escort the civilians to the Lymar village. Even so, over seven hundred specialized mobile archers joined the conquest to save the last town, Longma.

Strangely, Darian pulled Kashi aside just before they set off for Longma. His brows were deeply-set, and his gaze was serious, yet slightly wary, causing the daeben to wonder what the issue was.

"Kashi-dono," Darian greeted with an apologetic expression. "Forgive my question, but how do you feel about the beast-kin?"

Kashi's brow rose, but he nonchalantly shrugged and answered, "Neither here nor there. About the same as every other race. Why?"

Darian's brows locked together as traces of shame and guilt flitted through his eyes. "The Longma tribe are different from us. They could be classified as beast-kin if looked at from your perspective."

"Beast-kin? More like demons," Casetes remarked as he joined the duo. He turned to Kashi, and the daeben could sense a hint of disdain in those eyes. "The Longma tribe are indeed centaurs as ordained by our god, but they are lesser creatures cursed by devils."

"That claim has no proof," Darian countered with furrowed brows. "They are centaurs just like us."

"Forgive me Darian-kun, but I am inclined to agree with Casetes," Balasius, the head general of the Tulpar tribe said as he too joined the discussion. "The Longma tribe are indeed a sub-species. But do not fear. As long as they are centaurs, we must protect them regardless, and so we shall."

Kashi listened to the three generals, and a hidden light sparked in his eyes. "Sorry, I'm not following. What do you mean they're like demons?"

"You have to see them to truly understand," Casetes said with a sigh that caused Kashi to frown. The daeben could hear the distinct tone of those who felt superior to others in society in the centaur's voice. "They look nothing like humans. Their upper bodies are covered in scales, and they have clawed hands twice the size of your head."

"Mm, furthermore, the Longma tribe are savages," stated Balasius as he folded his powerful arms across his chest. "Strong, powerful savages, but savages nonetheless."

"Yes, that's why, even though we are duty-bound to save them, you must remain vigilant," Casetes warned Kashi with a stern gaze. "The worst tragedy would be to lose you to friendly fire. We cannot predict what goes on in those savages' minds."

"I will keep that in mind," Kashi replied in a flat tone. He looked at Darian and asked, "Are you of the same opinion?"

Darian shook his head. "The Longma tribe might be a little wild, but I honestly believe that's only because it's the only way they know how to protect themselves."

"Oh?" Kashi's eyes sparkled with interest. "Why do you say that?"

"The Longma tribe has been ostracized for several centuries by other tribes for being too savage," Darian explained with a short sigh. "We do not share our technology, nor trade with them, yet we somehow expect them to keep up with our civilization. But whenever there's a significant threat to the centaur race, the Longma tribe is always the vanguard, shedding the most blood to protect our race." Darian frowned and glanced at Casetes, "Furthermore, we sow the seed of hatred in our foals when we tell them stupid, baseless stories like 'demon curses.' Frankly, if it were not for their undying loyalty to our god, they would have abandoned these lands ages ago."