Chapter 89.1: Control

Abandoned Island off the Serian South Coast.

7: 32 am. 23rd Banem 1092.

31 Days to World's End.

A few miles off Serisis' Southern borders sat a lonely island. The ruins of a abandoned fort told the tale of a time when this fort was necessary to protect Serisis from the dangers of the sea. Fortunately for Serisis, the border had been safe for several decades. Unfortunately for the fort, this meant the soldiers were relocated elsewhere. Right now, only a skeleton crew of about 10 sailors stood watch for the extremely unlikely event of an attack.

Usually, these sailors spent their time playing cards, drinking, or exploring the depths of the ocean. This morning, however was different. The sailors sat on the beach, debating as they watched a strange sight.

"How lon' you reckon he's gonna last this time?"

"Give it thirty minutes?"

"Fuck! Thirty minutes? You think that's possible!?"

"Twenty wasn't."

"Ugh."

The sailors' argument froze as a daeben shot up from the depths of the ocean, escorted by massive water columns. Pwoosh! Eight purprle limbs shot up after the daeben, hot on his tail.

Kashi instinctively reached for his bow. Grip! The daeben frowned as his fingers tightened around the bow shaft. "Useless." Kashi frowned as he recalled Razznik's glare. 'No. Don't chicken out.' Having firmed his resolve, he loosened his grip. He then stretched out his hands toward the ocean. "Let's try this again."

Veins popped on Kashi's forehead as he willed the ocean's waters to move. "Come on!" Kashi pushed and pushed, but no matter how much he gave, the ocean refused to respond. Suddenly, Kashi sensed immense danger. The daeben's eyes turned grim as he spotted a tentacle diving straight at him.

Kashi moved to dodge, but a quick scan revealed he had been surrounded. This was the sky after all. Even with the Sky Walk ability, his range of movement was too small compared to the ground. The Giant Octopus took advantage of this to surround Kashi with its limbs. There was nowhere to run.

Kashi quickly appraised the situaiton. This was bad. At this rate, he would get smacked hard into the ocean. The daeben kicked the air, shifting his position by a few meters. Thwack! Kashi coughed blood as a tentacle smashed against his back with the force of a semi-truck. Luckily, because of his positioning, the smash sent him hurtling to the island.

The sailors watching the fight paled. Kashi was coming straight at them! At the daeben's current speed, the sailors would be lucky to find anything left of their bodies if he crashed into them.

'Shit' Kashi recognized the crisis. Against his better judgment, he forced himself to spin and then kicked the air. Crack! Kashi stifled a groan as several bones in his right leg shattered at once. Thankfully, The opposing force greatly slowed his crashing speed. Unfortunately, one of the sailors learned how to run away from the Prometheus Institution. Rather than veer off to the side, he continued running in a straight line, which meant Kashi would definitely hit him after tumbling forward.

Kashi, was once against forced into desperate straits. With his right leg out of commission, he struck the ground with his left immediately he landed. Crack! The left leg shared its brother's fate. Thankfully, its sacrifice was not in vain.

Whoosh! A stone wall shot up from the ground in front of Kashi. BAM! Kashi crumbled to the ground after smashing against the wall, clutching his broken nose. The daeben groaned and cursed as he sat up. He looked to the shores, and saw Drixlia fending off teh octopus with seveal lightning strikes.