Chapter 66.2: Durst Awakens (Really)

Later That Night...

Rudega, Raganf and the Serian Princesses stood watch in one of the manor rooms as the royal physician performed some tests on the unconscious Durst. The physician, an aging midi nodded as he removed his hand from Durst's body, and then turned to look at the Princesses.

"There are no traces of poison left in his system," reported the physician. "All he needs is some rest to recover and he'll be good as new."

'Thank you, doctor," Chu Ming said in appreciation, and then turned to Rudega and Ragnaf. "Please, rest here tonight. We will discuss what to do in the future following tomorrow's summit."

"Summit?" Rudega's ears perked up, intrigued by the word she used. Summits usually suggested a gathering of leaders. Who would a nation's king share a summit with except other kings? "May we know who is in attendance, or is that confidential?"

Chu Ming hesitated and turned to her sister, Chu Ling, who answered with a mischievous smile, "It is by no means confidential. I can sneak you in attendance if you want." The princess grinned as she glanced at Ragnaf, "It's the biggest summit of the decade – a meeting between Rosendun, Serisis and Aygorzi's kings. You wouldn't want to miss that would you?"

"Did you say Aygorzi's king?" Rudega questioned, eyes wide. He might not have been present for the naming ceremony, but any dwarf who spoke their mother tongue would instantly recognize Aygorzi to mean 'Aygor's Land.' Only the dwarfs would adopt that name. "Yes. I think I will take you up on your offer if it is not too much trouble."

Chu Ling nodded. "No trouble at all. Just don't make a scene or it's my head on the line." The princess winked as she drew a line across her neck, "And I am not one to go into the underworld without a party."

"Heh. I like her," Ragnaf, who had kept quiet until that point, remarked with a light chuckle.

"So he talks," Chu Ling stated with a bright gaze. "Does he fight too?"

Ragnaf exposed a toothy grin as he cracked his knuckles. "Always. When do you wanna go?"

"How about later," Chu Ming quickly answered before her overactive sister started an incident on this important eve. She grasped her sister's arm and said as she pulled her out of the room, "Please rest well. Someone will be with you shortly to warm the bath and serve some hot food."

"Heh. Now that I could use," Ragnaf stated as he sat down on a free bed. "See you tomorrow, humans."

"We're not huma—" Chu Ling started to protest, but Chu Ming pulled her out of the room and shut the door before she could say another word.

Ragnaf snorted and then looked at Rudega who appeared to be lost in thought. "What's with you? You that interested in this meeting?"

Rudega's brows furrowed, a pensive look in his eyes as he glanced at the orc. "...Interested? Yes, I suppose I am." He shook his head and then said as he walked to a free bed, "The dwarven king will be present at this meeting. To think I would get a chance to meet him like this. Perhaps everything happened according to Aygor's will."

"The gods are not interested in the lives of mortals," Ragnaf refuted as he sat on a bed.

Rudega cast a curious glance at Ragnaf. It seemed the orc had a story or two. There were not that many people who openly held the gods in contempt. However, this was neither the time nor the place to delve into that can of worms.

Shaking his head, Rudega replied, "Maybe so, but the truth remains that this is a chance I cannot afford to waste." Glancing at the sleeping Durst, he muttered, "For both our races' sakes..."