Chapter 19

Two months later an envoy from the Da Yong Country came to the imperial city. In the interest of maintaining peace between the two countries, he wanted to arrange a marriage between their eldest prince MoYuan and a Princess from Tian Yuan Country.

Zhao ZongZheng was right now only seventeen years old. He hadn’t even been married for more than a few months, so where would a Princess of an appropriate age to marry to Da Yong come from? The youngest daughter of the previous Emperor was already twenty-eight or twenty-nine and all of them were already married. They definitely weren’t appropriate for a political marriage. They could only pick from the daughters of royal relatives.

The Da Yong Country was high up in the mountains and the weather there was very poor. If one went there, just passing the test of acclimatizing to the harsh climate was already a hard ask, don’t even talk about their coarse and barbarian customs. For example widows there often re-married the next male in line after their husband died; whether it be their husband’s son or his brother. They also had the custom of sharing wives. All of these things were seen as normal. However to the royal kin of Tian Yuan Country, unless they were mad or stupid, they wouldn’t want their daughters to marry there.

If it wasn’t for the fact that she was being controlled by the Regent, OuYang MingYue definitely would not have passed up this opportunity. The status of women in Tian Yuan Country was low, not like Da Yong where women were respected and valued. They could be the head of their own households and even be involved in politics.

Right now the person in control of the Da Yong Country was the Dowager Empress Xiao. She was the Eldest Prince MoYuan’s biological mother. Because the men and women of Da Yong Country had relative sexual freedom; this kind of “hell” to the women of Tian Yuan Country was like heaven to OuYang MingYue. If she went there she had the hope of becoming a bird flying in the sky and could even enjoy multiple beautiful men.

But right now her every move was being monitored by the Regent. He might be happy to leave her unharmed for the moment for his own amusement, but he definitely wouldn’t let her leave the Tian Yuan Country and go to an enemy nation. The things in her head could help the Da Yong Country annihilate the Tian Yuan Country and so before she could do that, he definitely would annihilate her first.

OuYang MingYue was very clear about this. As soon as she stepped one foot out of Tian Yuan Country she would be dead. So anyone could try for this political marriage except for her. But as for Madame OuYang, how could she pass up this chance to get rid of OuYang MingYue? When OuYang MingYue thought about this she had no choice but to indicate to Bai Lian that she was ready for him to propose marriage.

In order to escape this political marriage, there was a flurry of marriages in the Imperial City.

The royal families who were originally intending to slowly look for a good son-in-law for their precious daughters panicked. It was pretty much at the point that as soon as they discovered a not-bad son-in-law candidate, they would kidnap him back to get married. Bai Lian had just cancelled his previous engagement and right now he was inundated with better offers. However his entire heart was fixated on OuYang MingYue. Even if his father beat him half to death, he insisted on going to her door to propose to her.

He had cancelled two engagements with the OuYang family. Then after a big fuss, he had gone back to his initial choice. If this got out then he would definitely be laughed to death by others.

Madame Bai initially wouldn’t agree but when her son threatened to commit suicide by banging his head against the wall, she had no choice but to agree with great reluctance. The Bai family hurried and got there just as Madame OuYang was about to enter OuYang MingYue’s name onto the list of marriage candidates to Da Yong, and with Grandfather OuYang’s permission they exchanged the marriage gifts.