Chapter 9

Zhao Xuan’s feelings worry and distress slowly ebbed away under the little fox’s warm ministrations.

He lightly slapped his bottom twice to express that he was being ‘punished’, then turned around and walked back towards the cave.

Zhou YunSheng didn’t allow this. He kicked with his four paws, and his little head kept trying to push towards the ground, reminding Zhao Xuan about the prize that he had used all his effort to obtain.

His entire body was soft, white and furry. It was very counterproductive. Even in the darkness he was still visible so those small animals didn’t wait for him to get close before running away. After failing to capture anything several times, he had no choice to roll around in the dirt and branches for a while in order to camouflage his body, all so he could capture this mountain chicken.

His lover was injured so right now he needed to eat well to replenish his energy.

Zhao Xuan looked at this caught prey which was even bigger than the little fox. He knit his brow and said, “The reason you ran away was to find me something to eat?”

Zhou YunSheng made two “ao-wu” noises and puffed up his little chest.

He had turned into a purely ornamental fox that didn’t have any demon powers. Just like in his last life, he couldn’t do anything except hide in his lover’s arms and seek his protection. This made him feel very humiliated and useless. His lover had jumped off a cliff for him without a single hesitation and in return he had only brought him a chicken as dinner. That wasn’t enough. When he could turn into a human then he would dedicate his life and body to him in order to repay him.

Zhao Xuan was both angry and touched. He used strength to rub the little fox’s muddy claws and didn’t know what to say. This little thing had really taken up his entire heart. No matter if he was a beast and they didn’t have a future together, in this life Zhao Xuan would have no other.

“Li’Er you’re so awesome, you managed to catch such a big mountain chicken. Luckily I have you otherwise I would have to go hungry tonight.” Looking into the little fox’s gaze which was full of anticipation, Zhao Xuan praised him kindly.

Zhou YunSheng was glad. He used his front paws to move around and called “zhi-zhi-zhi”. He used the beast language to relay his experience of capturing the chicken. Zhao Xuan picked up the chicken and walked slowly towards the cave. Although he didn’t understand a single word, he replied “en-en-ah-ah” and even laughed a few times.

When she heard the Regent’s hearty laughter, OuYang MingYue’s heart went dark. She knew that the little bastard had come back. When she turned around just as she expected she saw the tall and strong man carrying a little white fox in one arm, and a mountain chicken in the other, walking into the cave.

“Li’Er didn’t run away. He saw that this Lord was injured and went to hunt for me.” No matter how mature a man was, he still had a childish side. Zhao Xuan wasn’t any different.

When he thought about how this woman had just said the little fox had run into the forest to escape from him, he was filled with anger. Now that the little fox had come back, he immediately refuted her claim in a proud and pleased manner.

OuYang MingYue had taken care of his snow fox for many months and never saw it become close to her. How long had he been with the Regent? Now he had suddenly learned to be loyal to and protect it’s master. She forced herself to smile but really she hated this snow fox into her bones. She felt that it was really an ungrateful wretch, and even blocked her pathway. Tonight she should try to find an opportunity to get rid of him.

The little thing left but came back. Zhao Xuan was overjoyed. Before he didn’t want to do anything but now busied himself with joy in his heart. He went to get water and firewood  in order to let the little thing rest comfortably. He borrowed some flint from OuYang MingYue and created another separate bonfire. He then found a big stone in a concave shape to use as a bowl and heated up some water. He used some to pour over the chicken in order to be able to de-feather it more easily, and the other half he set aside to use later.