Chapter 10

Zhao ZongZheng and Zhang Qi waited for an entire fifteen minutes before the Regent finally showed up. His complexion didn’t look good, probably because he had been injured. When he saw the Emperor he didn’t kneel but only clasped his hands and bowed. He said, “There were some urgent matters in the Manor to take care off. Sorry to make the Emperor and the Court Preceptor wait.”

Seeing his nonchalant attitude, Zhao ZongZheng was so angry his teeth itched. However on the surface he didn’t show anything and only waved his hands and said, “No matter, no matter. Zhen heard that Imperial uncle was injured in an assassination, so zhen and the Court Preceptor came to see you. Imperial uncle, how are you feeling?”

{T/N: “Zhen” is the term an Emperor uses to refer to himself. The royal “I” or “we”.}

“It’s only a minor outward injury, no matter.” Zhao Xuan sat below the Emperor and discussed the situation and his actions in the Imperial City. The meaning behind the rhetoric was clearly that he intended to eliminate all the dissidents and steal power. His intimidating aura made the young Emperor break out with cold sweat. The two people traded political barbs and words with hidden meanings. They also didn’t forget the Court Preceptor was present. One of them looked to him for help, and the other’s heart was filled with suspicion.

The Court Preceptor was holding a cup of hot tea and turning it in his hands. The steam rose up and covered the expression in his eyes. In an angle that nobody could see, his palm hidden in his billowing sleeve was flashing with light. Gradually from it emerged an eight-sided ying-yang array.

This was an investigative array. And it elicited a reaction. That meant there was a demon nearby in the manor.

How long since there had been a demon in the Imperial City? The Court Preceptor couldn’t even remember. Many years ago when his Master had taught him this array, he had once told him that if the array glowed with light, then that meant his opportunity had come and that he definitely couldn’t miss it.

Right now there wasn’t much magic in the world. It was incredibly difficult to cultivate. Although the Court Preceptor had had a brilliant spiritual root, however because there was hardly any magic in the world, he had cultivated for twenty years and still had not completed foundation level. And because of that he could only rely on stealing other people’s cultivation in order to more quickly advance himself. Almost all the cultivators in the Tian Yuan Country had already been murdered by him, however these people’s cultivation were even lower than his. Even though he absorbed their entire life’s cultivation, it could barely scratch the surface.

But a demon was different. A demon that could make a eight-sided trigram array light up was at least fifty years old. In addition they had a demon core. It could be used to increase the health of the body and the intelligence of the mind. The demon’s skin, bone and flesh could be used to make into magical pills or weapons. In the world there weren’t many cultivators and the number of demons was even less. The fact that he could run into one was an incredibly rare opportunity. The Court Preceptor definitely couldn’t miss it.

He narrowed his eyes and thought darkly. The Regent’s body was heavily coated with the demon’s aura. However this didn’t exist on the bodies of the servants. Thus it was clear that the demon and the Regent had an intimate connection, to the point where they could barely leave each other a step. Thus, he could basically confirm that this demon must be the Regent’s famous pet, the snow fox.

In the fox demon clan, those who had the most potential and attributes would have lighter colored fur. The most powerful demon would have the most pure colored fur. The color would usually correspond with the five elements of gold, wood, water, fire and earth and be either yellow, green, blue, purple or brown.