Chapter 8

The bottom of the cliff was cold and damp and the area was full of the traces of wild beasts. At night it would become very dangerous.

Zhao Xuan hurried to find a safe place to pass the night. If he was by himself he wouldn’t have cared but the little thing in his arms was scared to death and kept trembling continuously, making him feel very unsettled. After looking for a long time he finally found a somewhat dry cave. After confirming there weren’t any wild beasts, snakes or mice inside, he went inside and sat down.

“Li’Er, don’t be scared. We’re safe now. Soon people will come to find us.” Zhao Xuan kissed the little fox’s wet and dewy eyes and then loosened his clothes to place him inside.

Only if the fox was pressed up against his chest, beating together with his heart, only this way could he feel some peace.

He comforted the little fox verbally however the terror in his heart was not less than the other creature’s.

He wasn’t afraid or death or being killed but he was scared that he would once again have to watch Li’Er leaving him in front of his eyes. The memory was terrible and at the same time seemed somehow horribly familiar, as though it was something he had experienced a thousand times before.

Zhou YunSheng actually wasn’t scared. He was only tired and couldn’t control his shaking. After some time passed he would naturally get better however he could feel his lover’s terror. Zhao Xuan was always scared of losing him. Even though he was already by his side, he would get scared if he even left his sight, not to mention this kind of life and death parting.

I’m not scared. So you shouldn’t be scared either. If we die then we’ll die together. If we live then we’ll live together. There’s nothing to be scared off. Zhou YunSheng used his paw to rub his lover’s face as though trying to comfort him. He also used his tongue to lick his dry and pale lips.

Zhao Xuan used his lips and tongue to entwine with the fox’s and sucked on him hard until he felt pain. Then he finally let go, sighed and came slowly back to life.

At this time OuYang MingYue came into the cave. She pretended to be scared and said, “My Lord, outside it’s already very dark. Right now there’s a lot of wild beasts prowling around. Do you mind if I stay with you?”

“Leave.” Zhao Xuan looked at her with red eyes.

“Your Lordship don’t hurry to send me away. I brought some firestarters, a water gourd, medicinal ointment, salt, a shovel and some wine. Your Lordship can perhaps find some use for them.” OuYang MingYue patted a small bag that was very securely tied around her waist. A lowborn person had their uses. At least she had survival skills not like these highborn lords. Other than his precious sword, what other useful things did he bring? Right now he was stuck in this place without any basic necessities for life.

Zhao Xuan trusted his subordinates. It wouldn’t take a few hours before they would be found. However he couldn’t eliminate the possibility that the person behind the assassins wouldn’t send out more people to kill them either. He had to pass one night in the mountains. If it was just himself that wouldn’t matter, he definitely wouldn’t die. But Li’Er was injured and probably couldn’t withstand another attack.

Thus he said coldly, “Come in then.”

Under normal circumstances Zhou YunSheng definitely would not have tolerated spending a night in the same place as OuYang MingYue but right now she had medicine and water. These were things that his lover needed so he chose to tolerate her for now.

He used his front two paws to hold his lover’s bloodied hand and used his tongue to carefully lick the torn flesh. Every now and then he would look up to check his expression. If he frowned he would immediately stop and use “zhi-zhi” to comfort him.