Chapter 33

Saturday 11th May 2019

It was close to 12:25 pm when my soccer game finished, it was a hard game though we won in the end. Now I was tired and wanted to do nothing, but I couldn't because the wedding started at 3 and I had to be there at about 1:30 to oversee the setup. Mum also insisted that her hair stylist do my hair even though it's just a simple french braid I could've done myself.

Normally we would all hang around for a bit after the game, but I had to leave straight away otherwise I wouldn't have enough time to get home and shower. Everyone understood thankfully. Pretty much as soon as I got back home I went to shower quickly, it was already 12:45 so I didn't have much time to enjoy the shower.

After a ten minute shower I put on my dress pants and sports bra before drying my hair a bit then put it in a ponytail to keep it out of the way. Afterwards I put on my freshly ironed white shirt making sure to tuck it into my pants and put on a belt. Then I put on a black tie and dress shoes followed by the black vest and lastly the black suit jacket. Mum wanted me to wear the white shirt otherwise I would have worn all black.

---

I got to the venue 15 minutes later than I was supposed to, everything was running smoothly so it was fine. Once I got there I double checked the seating plan matched the one on the paper mum gave me. Well it was more a table plan then a seating plan, guests are assigned to a particular table then they can sit in any chair at the table. I also checked the area that the ceremony was being held and helped with the flower set up. The ceremony was going to be held outside in the garden. The garden was set up simply with chairs on either side of a white carpet type thing in the middle and at the end was an arch way covered in flowers. The reception was being held inside a large hall that was decorated with twinkle lights and flowers. It had many tables placed around a dance floor in the middle and two large tables on one side of the room for the food.

Once pretty much everything was set up I went to find my mum and get my hair done as well as get the hickey Ash left covered. When I entered the room I was met with my mum wearing a simple wedding dress with a lace front and sleeves. Her hair was done in a messy pinned style with little flower clips and she had a thin layer of make up on. I'd never seen her look so beautiful. Not that I really said anything because Nan was in there. I was a little bit surprised to see her, after everything I didn't know if I expected her to show up but she did and still had a disgusted look on her face that was directed at me. Part of the disgusted look was because I was wearing a suit not a dress, as she says 'girls should dress like a girl', it was something I had heard my whole life.

"I'm going to see how everything is going out there, see you in a few," I told mum and left the room. Instead of actually checking everything I escaped outside, I just needed a minute to mentally prepare myself for being around my Nan for so long. After saying what she did, the thought of being around her causes anxiety to come up as well a kind of numbness feeling I guess. In a way I think the numbness is away of protecting myself from the pain.

"Thought I saw you over here, what's up kiddo?" Ben asked approaching me.

"Nan is here."

Ben rolled his eyes making me laugh slightly, "Don't tell your mother, but I was really hoping she wouldn't show up. Not after the pain she caused you."

"It hurts dad," I admitted quietly.

Ben carefully pulled me into his arms, "I know, I'm sorry kiddo."

"Don't worry about it, now it's time for you to get married."

---

The wedding ceremony started half an hour late because Ben had forgotten to get the rings, aside from that everything went smoothly and the ceremony was finished by 4. After the ceremony there was an hour or so for people to catch up and take pictures. During this time I introduced Ashley, Paige and Dani to my aunts, uncles, cousins and anyone else that came up to us. Thankfully, everyone we talked to were accepting.