Chapter 13

Saturday 30th March 2019

We had just arrived at the reserve. Ashley wanted to walk around the pond before going to the waterfall so that's what we were doing. The sun had come out so it had warmed up. As we walked around I took a couple of pictures of the ducks and the surrounding trees. I even let Ashley use my camera which is unusual because I don't like letting people use it. It was around 3 pm when we started the walk to the water fall. There was just over 2 hours until the sun started to set so there wasn't any rush. The normally 15 minute walk took us just over half an hour. There was a lot of joking around and me climbing trees and going off the track while Ashley watched with amusement. I made her take a couple of photos of me in the trees that I might use for my project.

"This is beautiful," Ashley said looking at the waterfall.

"Yeah you are," I replied. Even though she wasn't looking at me I could see that she was blushing.

I got my camera out and started taking pictures of the water fall from different angles. Ashley mostly just watched and walked around while I took pictures. I admit I took some photos of her when she wasn't looking. She just looked so beautiful.

"I'm ready to head back when you are," I said putting my camera back in the bag. I checked my phone and it was 4:25 pm.

Ashley stood up from the rock she was sitting on, "I'm ready."

We started walking and I noticed Ashley moving closer to me. Then without a word she took my hand and laced her fingers with mine. As the butterfly's erupted in my stomach a large smile made its way onto my face. It was getting closer to sunset and we were walking under the trees, that meant the temperature was dropping and I was starting to feel it. I briefly let go of Ashley's hand to put my jacket on then took her hand again.

My phone dinged a couple of times as soon as we got back to the car park, checking it there was a missed call from my mum and a text from her. The cell reception at the waterfall and along the trail was horrible so it didn't surprise me. I checked the text and it was mum telling me to call her when I could. I called her and she told me that dad proposed and they were going to celebrate with a couple of their friends. They were going to stay at a hotel so I was home alone tonight. They have been together for 11 years now and haven't gotten married yet. They were planning on it, but then mum got pregnant with Jay and they never ended up doing it.

"Everything okay?" Ashley asked when I hung up.

"Yeah everything is great, my parents are getting married," I replied.

"They're not married?"

"Nope, life got busy and they never got around to it. Anyway should we go?" I asked.

"Uh yeah."

We got in the car and I went to reverse, but stopped when I realised I didn't know where I was going, "Where are we going."

"Where do you want to go for dinner?" She asked.

"Actually I'm not really in the mood for going out and being around people," I admitted. Sometimes the thought of being around people causes me to get really anxious. It happens at random times. I told her this and she reached over and squeezed my hand.

"It's okay I understand, we can get dinner another time," She said softly.

"You're not people," I said but realised I didn't make much sense so I clarified. "Being around you doesn't make me anxious sure you make me a little nervous, but that's because I like you."

"I like being around you and still want to have dinner with you. Maybe we could go back to my place and order Chinese or something," I suggested.

Ashley kissed the back of my hand, "Sounds perfect."

---

Once we got back to my house I ordered Chinese. When I turned around Ashley was on the couch watching me with a small smile on her face. "What?"

"Nothing, you're just beautiful."

All I wanted to do in that moment was hug her so that's what I did. Ashley was sitting on the couch so I sat down next to her and wrapped my arms around her shoulders. She put her arms around my waist and snuggled her head into my neck. I sat back on the couch. Ashley cuddled into my side. I'm not really a self conscious person and tend to like the way I look --maybe a little to much at times-- though there are a couple of things that I like a little less like my glasses or dimples, but Ashley has a way of making me truly forget about those things.

"You know you really surprised me," Ashley told me randomly.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"You have put so much effort into getting your grades up. When Mr Walker told me about your attitude towards your grades, I figured I'd be wasting my time, but you proved me wrong," She explained.

"I had to get my grades up, or I would be forced to quit soccer and honestly you are the best tutor I could have asked for," I told her honestly. If I had gotten a tutor that didn't take the time to explain things to me then I would have struggled a lot more. Before Ashley could reply the door bell rang.

"I'll get it," I said. Ashley groaned, but let me go.

I got my wallet of the coffee table and went to answer the door knowing it was the delivery guy. I gave him the money, thanked him and took the food inside. Ashley tried to pay me back, but I wouldn't let her. Ashley dished up the food while I went to the kitchen to get some water for Ashley and some orange juice for me. We ate mostly in silence with occasional small talk. Silence between Ashley and I wasn't uncomfortable. I could sit there in silence all day with Ashley and be completely happy. It was only 6:15 pm when we finished eating.

"What do you want to do now?" Ashley asked cuddling into me again.

I shrugged, "Hang out with you more, if you're not sick of me yet."

"I could never be sick of you. Believe it or not hanging out with you is something I actually like doing."

"I like hanging you with you too, you know what else I like?" I asked.

"What?" She answered.

"You," I know it was a little cheesy but I couldn't resist.

Ashley laughed and shook her head, "What now?"

"I was thinking we could play video games, more specifically Tekken," I answered.

Tekken has been one of my favorite games since I was seven. It was the first video game I ever played with Ben. When I first met Ben, I hated him because he wasn't my dad. I wanted the game, but mum said I was too young so he brought it for me without her knowing. Of course because I was seven, I wasn't very good so he helped me. For a month it was our secret then mum found it and he told her it was his. That's when I started thinking of him as a friend then a few months later I started to think of him as a father figure. He's never officially adopted me and I've heard him talk to mum about him wanting to. Next week on his birthday I'm going to give him the adoption papers and ask him to adopt me; I'm 17 so he can still legally adopt me.

"I've never played it before," Ashley admitted.

I gasped dramatically, "That is completely unacceptable. Come on, if you can teach me math, I can teach you Tekken."