Chapter 6

Tuesday 12th March 2019

Ashley's P.O.V.

"Ash are you listening to me?" My best friend Isabel asked as I lent against the locker next to hers, staring into space.

"Sorry Bel, I'm a little distracted," I admitted. I kept thinking about telling my parents I'm gay. My parents are pretty open-minded people, but not knowing for sure how they would react to me being gay worried me. I'd thought about not telling them, but it feels like I'm lying to them and the one of the things I hate most is lying.

"What's on your mind little bird?" She asked.

I hate that nickname and she knows it. When we were five, we used to pretend to be animals; I always pretended to be a bird. That nickname has been with me since.

I shoved her slightly, "Don't call me that."

"Sorry," She paused."Little bird."

I pushed her again and walked away. She quickly followed me and wrapped her arm around my shoulders.

"Come on Ash, what's on your mind?" Isabel asked again.

"I'm telling my parents tonight," I answered quietly.

"Good luck Ash, you'll be fine. Just remember I'm only a phone call away."

"I know Bel, thank you."

It was lunch time, so we went outside to the field and sat down under the tree; something we do often. I looked out over the field. Sky was kicking a ball around with one of her friends, she wasn't wearing a shirt just like the first time we met. There was a wide smile on her face and it looked like she was laughing. Honestly her smile was slowly becoming one of my favorite sights. It's weird because I've only really known her for just over a week, but I see her around school all the time and have always found her very attractive, especially when she smiles. I couldn't help but watch Sky run around, her jet black hair was in a ponytail and I noticed that she was wearing her glasses. She looked really cute in her glasses.

"Skylar or Paige?" Isabel asked.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Which one are you looking at Skylar or Paige?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"So you've just been looking at the building for the past 10 minutes?"

Isabel knows me to well to believe me, but I gave it a shot anyway, "Yes."

"Okay sure," She replied disbelievingly, then started tickling me. Being very ticklish, I started laughing uncontrollably. Tickling was Isabel's way of getting me to talk and it worked almost every time mostly because she wouldn't stop tickling me until I did.

"Okay, okay Skylar," I confessed breathlessly after a couple of minutes.

Isabel didn't stop until someone cleared their throat. Finally, she stopped tickling me. Isabel sat up, but I stayed lying down so I could catch my breath.

"Hey Skylar, hey Paige," Isabel said.

I sat up quickly and sure enough Skylar and Paige were standing there, Sky had an amused smile on her face.

"Hey guys, what's up?" I asked.

"Hey, um Ashley could I talk to you for a second?" Sky asked me.

"Yeah sure," I stood up and we walked away from Paige and Isabel.

Sky looked a little nervous so I asked, "What's up?"

"First off I wanted to thank you."

"What for?"

"For the first time I got an A on my history test."

Before I could stop myself I hugged her, she hugged me back without hesitation, "That's amazing Sky." Hugging her felt amazing, I didn't really want to let her go, but I did. She looked more nervous than before, I'm not going to lie it worried me a little.

"Also um you seem like a cool person and I'd like to get to know you better, so I was wondering if you would like to hangout sometime?"

I smiled, trying my best not to smile to wide, "I would like that."

When I said she visibly relaxed, she even looked a little excited.

Skylar's P.O.V.

It was lunch time, and I was out on the field with Paige. We were kicking a soccer ball around when I heard a beautiful laugh. I looked over to where it was coming from and saw Isabel who was one of Ashley's friends. I figured Ashley would probably be there as well so decided to go over. I had been wanting to talk to her all day. Paige and I walked over to the tree where they were when we got there I saw Isabel tickling Ashley. They didn't notice us, so I cleared my throat. Isabel sat up, but Ashley stayed lying down.

"Hey Skylar, hey Paige," Isabel greeted.

Ashley sat up, "Hey guys, what's up?"

"Hey, um Ashley can I talk to you for a second?" I asked.

"Yeah sure."

We walked away from the others, and I started to get nervous, probably more nervous than I should have been.

We stopped walking and Ashley asked, "What's up?"

"First off I wanted to thank you," I started.

"What for?"

"I got an A on my test."

"That's amazing." She hugged me and I hugged back instantly. Hugging Ashley was better than I imagined it would be. It was warm and for some reason it was comforting. The nerves were definitely still there, but hugging Ashley made them simmer down a little bit. Although that weird feeling erupted in my stomach with more force then it has before.

As soon as Ashley let me go the nerves flooded back full force, "Also um you seem like a cool person and I'd like to get to know you better, so I was wondering if you would like to hangout sometime?"

She smiles, "I would like that."

When the bell rang Ashley and Isabel went to the main school building and Paige and I had PE so we went to the gym.

"I'll see you after school," Ashley told me before we went our separate ways.