Chapter 1

Tuesday 26th Feb 2019

"Miss Blake please take a seat," Mr. Walker told me sitting down at his desk.

I sat down, "What's this about?"

"You're being assigned a tutor."

"I don't need a tutor."

"Well Miss Blake, you're failing multiple classes and if your grades don't rise then you'll be off the soccer team."

"You can't do that," I exclaimed, pretty much jumping out of the chair.

When it comes to school I've never really tried that hard or cared that much, but soccer is something I care a lot about. I've been playing since I was 6 years old and am now the captain of the team.

"Trust me it's not something I want to do, but will if it is necessary," He handed me a bit of paper.

"Here is the name and phone number to contact, text her to set a time to meet. If you don't she will let me know."

Nothing else was said so I walked out of his office and to my locker. I didn't want a tutor, but soccer was important to me so I didn't have a choice. I was going to text the number so I wouldn't forget later, but someone came up behind me and kissed my cheek. It was my boyfriend Jake. Jake had been one of my good friends since we met at a soccer camp about 8 years ago. I continued on the soccer path while Jake went down the drum and guitar path. Just over a year ago, he confessed his feelings to me, I returned them and we started dating.

He leaned against the locker beside mine, "Hey Sky."

"Hi, Jake, what's up?"

"Not a lot, what did Mr. Walker want?"

I sighed, "He's assigning me a tutor, if I don't get my grades up then I'm off the soccer team."

"Sorry Sky, I can help if you need," Jake replied.

Laughing I replied, "We both know that would be a disaster."

Jake laughed, but didn't get a chance to respond because the warning bell rang, he said goodbye and went to class. My last class was photography, it was one of the only classes I actually liked and wasn't failing. When class ended I decided to go home instead of hanging out with Jake like I normally did, I had a really bad headache and wanted to be alone.

After flopping down on my bed, I remembered I hadn't texted the tutor. I pulled the bit of paper out of my pocket and looked at the name; Ashley Mason. The name wasn't familiar, but put her number in my phone anyway and sent her a message.

Skylar: Hi, my name is Skylar. Mr. Walker gave me your number and told me to message you about tutoring.

It only took a couple of minutes for a reply.

Ashley: Hi, Mr. Walker told me to expect a text from you. Should we set up a time to meet?

Skylar: When works for you?

Ashley: The only day I can do this week is Saturday, does that work for you?

Skylar: I have a soccer game in the morning so anytime after 1 will work.

I waited a couple of minutes for a reply but it didn't come. After plugging in my phone I went downstairs. My parents weren't home yet and my brother was at his friend's house until they finished work so I was home alone. The headache hadn't gone away yet so I was grateful for the quiet. I decided to take some Advil to help the headache go away, then went back to lie down.

I must've fallen asleep because the next thing I knew I was being woken up by my 6-year-old brother jumping up and down on my bed, yelling at me to wake up.

"I'm awake Jay," I wrapped my arms around him to stop the jumping. This made him giggle.

"How was school?" I asked when he stopped giggling.

"Good, we did colouring."

"That's great buddy, come on let's go downstairs."

Jay jumped off my bed and ran down to the playroom while I went and sat next to my dad on the couch.

"Hey sweetheart, how was your day?" He asked.

"It was alright, Mr. Walker assigned me a tutor."

"Are you actually going to meet with them this time?" He asked.

"I have to otherwise I'm off the team."

My dad ruffled my hair, he knows I hate it that's why he does it.

"You better get your grades up then, I know you would die if you couldn't play soccer," He said putting emphasis on 'die'.

Rolling my eyes I walked into the kitchen, "I know dad."

After dinner, I went upstairs to my room. Turing on my phone there was 1 missed call and 3 messages from Jake, 2 messages from my best friend Paige and 1 message from Ashley. I opened Jake's first.

Jake: Hey baby

Jake: I hope you're doing okay, call me if you want otherwise I'll talk to you tomorrow

Jake: Love you

I didn't really feel like talking so I replied with a simple 'I'm okay, talk tomorrow' then opened Paige's message.

Paige: Hey Sky, I hope you're feeling better.

Paige: You probably fell asleep so text me when you wake up.

Skylar: Hey, you're right I fell asleep. I still have a slight headache but I'm okay.

Skylar: I'll see you tomorrow :)

Then Ashley's message.

Ashley: How's 1:30?

Skylar: Sounds good, is it okay if we meet at my place?

Ashley: Yeah no problem

I sent her my address then started to get ready for bed.