Chapter 53

Saturday 13th July 2019

Paige and I were teaching at a summer soccer camp type thing. It was one day a week where we helped a bunch of kids learn about soccer and increase their skills. We were about halfway through when I checked my phone quickly noticing 4 missed calls from mum. They were still away at my grandparents house, last I heard my grandmother would be released from the hospital tomorrow. I let the other instructors know that I had to call her back so they started without me. Mum answered pretty much straight away. 

Hey mum, what's up?

I know you're busy, but I need to tell you something. Nana, she...

She what mum?

She passed away

I froze for a second. Thoughts swirled around my head so quickly I started feeling dizzy. How would they handle it? Mum, grandad, me, Jay? Man how would Jay handle it? He had never gone through a loss like this, the most he's ever had to deal with was the class hamster dying when he was four. I didn't know if I could be there for him in the way he might need when I didn't even know how I was feeling. 

Sky? Are you there?

Ye-yeah I'm here, are you okay?

Honestly, it hasn't quite hit yet so we'll see. Are you okay?

I'm fine

Sky, I know she-

Seriously mum, I'm fine. I'll call you a bit later. I love you.

I love you too sweetheart. 

I hung up and just stood there frozen. I didn't know what I felt, what I should feel in this situation. Paige looked over at me then was instantly by my side. She pulled me into a hug which I returned after a few seconds. I told her what happened and that I needed to leave. She triple checked that I was okay to be by myself before going to explain to the other trainers. I drove until I ended up at the look out Ashley had taken us to a while ago. 

Ashley had a family dinner that she couldn't get out of, but I texted her anyway. Just in case she could get out. I hadn't cried yet or felt anything other then numb since mum called me. It probably wasn't the best way to handle that conversation, but I needed to sort myself out before I could deal with it properly. If I didn't I would break and I needed to be strong, especially for Jay.

Sky: I need you

My love 😍💕: What wrong?

Sky: I just need you

My love😍💕: I'll be right there, where are you?

After letting her know where I was, I sat down against a tree just staring out into the city. Who knows how long had passed before someone sat down next to me. I knew it was Ashley without looking. 

"She's dead," I stated before Ashley could say anything. 

"W-who?" Ashley asked, voice shaky. Maybe that wasn't the best way to bring it up. There were so many people it could have been. 

My voice cracked as I answered, "Nana."

Ashley pulled me into her lap, holding me tightly as the tears finally started falling. She ran her fingers across my back while I cried until I had calmed down enough to talk, "She was a horrible person, she treated me so badly when I told her something that shouldn't have changed anything. I should hate her, I do hate her, but why does this hurt? It shouldn't hurt if I hated her."