I Won't Let You Down

~I Won't Let You Down~  

"Frühstück!" my mom yelled from downstairs. Frühstück means breakfast in German. My parents always spoke German with us.

"Komm schon!" My dad yelled which means "Come already." Elaine and I hopped out of my bed and both trotted down the stairs.

"Oh can I borrow some pants?" Elaine asked before we got downstairs.

"Oh god please do!" I ran and got her some sweatpants.

"Thanks!" Elaine threw on the pants over her whoreish shorts. And we walked down to our kitchen.

"We're having breakfast in the dinning room in honor of Elaine and her exchange year." My mom announced. I looked over at Elaine and her face brightened. My brother came stomping down the stairs.

"Mom it's Saturday why are we having breakfast so early?" Lauritz said groggily.

"Why are you 19 and still living at home?" I shot back a snobby come back.

"Good one, Lina. I don't live at home, I'm just staying her for the summer." Lauritz shot back.

"And that makes you our guest so don't be rude to the people who are letting you stay here." I calmly said back to him.

"Fick dich." Lauritz quietly mumbled to me which means "Fuck you." in German. All I could do was laugh.

Breakfast was delicious. We had a conversation all in German about Elaine's year. I could tell Elaine was eyeing my brother down. Maybe she was crushing on him? But nerdy old guys weren't really her type. Elaine had been through a couple guys that she told me about. All of the guys she had been with had turned out to be really immature. I knew she had been single for a long time though.

My brother and I were always so different. He had always been so embarrassed by me but I had always been embarrassed by him. He was always the smart one that still got girls. But the part that embarrassed me was how nerdy he was at home. At school with other people he was always so different. In public he was rude and mean but at home he was always in his room on his computer ignoring the world. And the very few times he would come out of his room he was a troll. The only times I went on the computer was to Skype Elaine and my friends in New York. Technology gave me a headache. I had a Facebook account but I barely ever went on.

After breakfast my dad got ready to go to work which was weird since it was a Saturday.

"Why are you going to work today dad?" I asked as he put his wallet in his back pocket.

"I'm just going to talk to the guys about the finances and money we made yesterday. It'll just be a few hours." My dad explained. On Saturdays my dad and I usually did something fun together. It was just how we bonded through his tight work schedules. "Would you girls want to go to the beach when I got back." Elaine and I looked at each other and smiled gleefully. "I'm guessing that's a yes. I'll be back soon." My dad smiled and kissed my mom as he walked out the door.

Elaine and I helped my mom clean up the dining room table and did the dishes which took about an hour. We were still exhausted since it had been so early still. We went upstairs and took a half hour nap. A knock on the door woke us both up.

"Aufwachen!" My dad said peeking his head into my room. Aufwachen means "wake up". Elaine and I both jumped off the bed and quickly got changed. We both ran downstairs and hopped into my dads car.

When we got to the beach Elaine and I quickly jumped out and looked at the beautiful ocean. It was a little chilly for a swim but we could really get a good tan. Elaine and I set up our towels and laid ourselves on them. My father set up his chair and umbrella and started reading his book. A couple hours passed and Elaine and I were getting really warm. We decided to take a dip in the water. The water was freezing and Elaine was splashing me until I eventually pushed her over and she went in the water face first. I was so occupied by laughing at her I didn't even realize my dad was running towards me. I looked a little to late and found myself being thrown into the water. It was ice cold. When I came out from under the water I screamed an ear piercing scream. I looked over at Elaine and my dad and they were laughing hysterically. I crossed my arms and walked away like I was mad but I really wasn't I was just cold. They both followed after me still laughing. I couldn't help from laughing with them.