Chapter 73: Eat Woman.

Nova

I looked up from the meat I was tenderizing as the door to the living area opened. Halley hesitantly entered before making her way over to me.

"Need help?" She asked as she stood at my side.

I know she didn't want to be down here so I'm surprised she is. She's not hiding her discomfort very well but at least she's trying. That's nice of her.

"I'm making tri-tip sandwiches. We need to use the last of the bread before it goes bad. If you'd like to help you can tear up the lettuce and cut up the tomatoes?" She nodded, standing to my left and began doing as I asked.

I left her to start the grill before throwing on the tri-tip.

"Ashton keep an eye on it. Don't burn my meat or I'll beat your ass." I ordered before going back to the kitchen.

I sliced up the onion and threw them in a pan with butter, sautéing them as I worked on slicing the cheese. I handed Halley a bite and took one for myself so we could both try it out.

"God I love cheese." She groaned, holding her hand out for more.

I cut off another chunk for us, agreeing with her. I really did love cheese. And this batch we made was pretty good. The rest will taste better once it cures more but it was delicious.

"So when I looked at your maps it said we're stopping in Hawaii. I've always wanted to visit there. How long are we staying?" Halley asked as she worked on the tomatoes.

"Probably just a few days. Long enough to get more gas and more supplies that we need."

She nodded, looking a little deflated.

I've always wanted to visit Hawaii too. I guess we can make a little vacation out of it.

"Maybe we can stretch it out for a couple extra days. I could go for a nice swim."

Halley nodded with a bright smile on her face. I did like making my people happy. We'll have been traveling on the boat for about fifteen days or so by the time we get there. A little break would be nice.

I just wish Finn could be there to experience it with me.

"So how are you doing though? We're all worried about you."

I sighed as I stirred the sliced onions around, not really wanting to talk about it. "I'm okay. Don't worry about me. It's my job to worry about you."

Halley gave me a sad smile and hugged me from behind. "It's our job too. That's what makes us a family. We look out for each other. Especially when one of us is hurting. We're all sad Nova. It's okay to be sad too. You don't have to be strong all the time. Especially in front of us."

I knew she was right but still I didn't want anyone to worry about me. They can't help me or make it better. The only person who could is gone.

"I'll be okay Halley. Just need some time. Help me get this plated up so we can eat."

Halley gave me a look but listened anyways. I had Amy and Finch set up the table so we could put everything out. I made sure the kids were served first before letting everyone else eat. I wasn't all that hungry really.

I still felt sick to my stomach. I thought everyone would be distracted and wouldn't notice that I wasn't eating but Finch dropped a plate on my lap and sat next to me. She stared me down, looking at my plate and then back up at me.

"Eat woman."

I sighed, picking up the sandwich and took a small bite.

Finch rolled her eyes, releasing heavy sigh as she shoved my sandwich into my mouth. She held it there until I bit down and then went back to eating herself.

When I didn't move to eat more Finch sighed again and gave me a pleading look.

"Please eat Nova. Finn wouldn't want you to waste away. I know you're not feeling the best but you need to eat."

I knew she was right but it still sucked. I had absolutely no appetite for anything. I took another bite for Finn's sake. He'd be mad if he knew I wasn't eating. It took me a while to finish it but I did. I helped clean up and then went to give him his next injection.

When I entered the engine room he stared me down as I grabbed another syringe and the band before making my way over to him. I sat down beside him and he put a hand on my leg, continuing to watch me. I inserted my blood into his system, touching the few new veins that turned back to blue.

I looked into his eyes, hoping they would change too but the sickly grey remained. I looked down at my hands as tears welled up in my eyes. The change was happening so slowly. I wanted to do all of the injections at once so I could turn him back right away but Walowski told me it wasn't a good idea.

If we overwhelm his systems with my blood it could possibly kill him. I had to take my time with this. It sucked that he was right. We had to take this slow because we don't know what will happen if he's given too much at once.

His system could either accept it and change him back, or it could overwhelm him and we'll have to start over or he could be gone forever. And that wasn't a chance I was willing to take no matter how badly I wanted him back.

I leaned my head onto his shoulder and took his cold hand in mine. He sat completely still. I knew he was staring at me still but I didn't want to look into his muted grey eyes. It hurt too much.

I sat with him for a while until there was a knock on the door. I got up and walked over, unlocking it and pulling it open. Finch peeked around me to look at him before looking back at me.

"We're about to play UNO. Wanna join us?"

I looked back at Finn, biting my lip.

I don't know if I'm in the mood to be playing any games right now.

"Please Nova? You can't stay down here forever. He'll be here when we're done and you can come back."

I sighed and nodded, stepping out and shutting the door behind me. I locked it and followed Finch to the living area of the boat. Everyone sat around in a circle talking as we made our way over to them. They smiled at me as we sat down in the only empty spots.

"You don't have X-ray vision right? Cause I still don't know how you knew I had a straight."

I stared at his cards with an intense look, pretending like I could actually see through them. "Two reds, a blue, three greens, and a wild."

Ashton looked down at his cards with narrowed eyes and then back up at me. "How did you...You were right about five out of seven. I'm trading them out."

I grinned as Ashton swapped out his cards and kept them together, covering the back from my view.

I really just guessed but I always do love fucking with him.

Everyone discreetly covered their cards too.

I don't have X-ray vision but I love that they all think I do.

"Alright let's play." Halley said as she flipped the top card over after setting her cards down first.

I followed Halley's free hand that she could've used and looked down, seeing it was under Kyle's. I know Halley has had a crush on him since we brought him back with us. They share longing looks and shy smiles here and there but I've never seen them actually touching. They're definitely getting closer. I think it's cute.

I don't know Kyle all that well because he's like me in the sense that he likes privacy. He doesn't talk much and minds his own business. But apparently he likes Halley in it. I'll have to talk to her about it later. I don't want to embarrass her but we could use some genuine happiness around here. Halley is hurt over Finn's situation too. She's barely been smiling since it happened. Hopefully Kyle can change that.

"Yellow eight. Your turn Nova."

I looked at Halley and glanced at their hands before wiggling my eyebrows and setting a card down. Halley blushed and looked away.

Oh yeah.

There's definitely something going on between them. And I can't wait to find out what it is.