Chapter 40: Promise Me You Won't Stop Fighting

Finn

Phase One was in action. No one was allowed to drive Nova's jeep but me so I took it into town. We didn't have maps so we had to find this place on our own. Halley and Kyle were in the back talking. Ashton was in the passenger seat and kept glancing at me like he wanted to say something but was too afraid.

"What man? You're either gay for me or you got something to say. So say it."

"Well I can see Nova's attitude is rubbing off on you." He said with a chuckle, Halley and Kyle laughing too. "I'll be real dude. You're spacing out pretty hard and you need to be focused. My dad's men aren't as well trained as you guys are but it doesn't take much smarts to shoot a gun at someone. You need to be thinking clearly."

I knew he was right but I didn't want to hear it coming from him.

"I just keep seeing images in my mind of him hurting her. And I can't do anything to help her when she's done nothing but put her own life at risk for us. It doesn't feel right."

"Well you can't save her if you end up killing yourself because you aren't focused. You just need to calm down man. From what I know about Nova so far is that she doesn't take shit from anybody-my father included. I know she could take his ass down if she needs to. She'll be fine Finn. If anyone could survive a hostage situation it's your girl. So just calm down. You're supposed to be in charge and you aren't acting like it."

Well shit. Never thought I would agree with anything this shithead says but he was right. I needed to calm down.

"He's right Finn. I may be the smarts of the operation but you're supposed to be leading us. Nova wouldn't have given you the position of right-hand-man if she didn't think you could handle it. We'll get her back. But we need someone to follow. Someone to call the shots. And it can't be me. It has to be you. So woman up Finn. Be the person she needs right now-not just for her, but for us too."

I took a deep breath and slowly released it, trying to focus myself. They were both right. Our plan would work-it had to. So I needed to be in control. I couldn't lose it now. Not when so much was at stake.

When we made it to town I hid Nova's jeep in an alley and we decided to walk the area. It wasn't safe, but we can't have James' men see Nova's jeep. They would know right away whose it was and they can't know we're here.

The town seemed almost barren of all life which made me feel better. Hopefully we wouldn't run into any Zombies but we don't have the best luck so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. At least we have Booker with us he'll sense them before we do.

"Stay close and stay quiet. Halley stand between me and Ashton, Kyle you follow from the back."

Halley nodded and we formed a line with me in front, leading us with Booker at my side. I didn't want to take any chances with him, knowing Nova would beat me to death if something happened to him. I mean she beat a man to death with her bare hands if that didn't scare me I don't know what would. So I did what she did and attached his leash to my belt loops with enough distance for him to be comfortable but still be close to where I can protect him if I need to. Hopefully I won't have to.

Booker stopped and looked up at me, then back around the corner. I peeked around the corner and stopped-there was twelve Zombies lingering around, almost in a trance. They were standing completely still.

Hopefully there's no Sprinters or Trackers that pick up on our scents. Or Screecher Zombies that attract more of their friends. Or Ninja Zombies. Let's just hope they're all the slow and stupid ones.

"Stay here." I ordered, pushing them back behind the building.

I read all of the buildings and saw what we needed was right in the middle of all of them.