Chapter 23: Zombie Bait Twice

Finn

The Zombies came for us without hesitation. I shoved Finch back and slammed the door shut, holding it closed as they tried to get out.

"We need to get in there. We have to! What are we going to do?!" Finch cried out, looking between us with a lost expression.

Yes-we did.

And I knew what to do.

Guess I'm gonna be Zombie bait twice.

"I have a plan. But you guys have to follow it to the dot. I promise I'll be fine."

They both nodded reluctantly.

"What's the plan?" Tommy asked, his grip on his ax tightening.

"Take Booker and hide in that room with the door closed. I'm going to lead them away. I'll try to lock them up in another room but once I lead them away go in there and get everything you need."

"That doesn't sound safe man. There's five of them and one of you." Tommy said, shaking his head.

"Trust me. I'll be fine. We have to do this for her. Please just let me do this. I'll be okay."

Finch bit her lip, nodding slowly.

"Please be safe Finn. I know you said Nova can't lose me, but she'll never be with anyone again if she loses you too. I want her to be happy again and I know you can do that for her. So please please be careful."

Did I really mean that much to her? I can never tell when it comes to that woman. But I definitely had to stay safe now.

Fight smarter, not harder. Her words rang in my mind.

And I would fight. I would make it back to the girl of my dreams.

I had to.

They entered the room and shut the door, cracking the blinds to look at me. I took a deep breath and turned to the door, pushing it open. I made a break for it, running down the hall with all five Biters in tow. I turned down the next hallway, slowing to a jog so they could catch up.

I led them as far away as possible, my heart beating hard as a Sprinter Zombie picked up its pace and came running for me. He tackled me and I put my bat up, blocking his bite. His jaws snapped close to my face and I realized I was underestimating his strength. But I was stronger. I had to fight him off. The other Zombies were closing in.

I used a trick of Nova's and bucked my hips sending him up into the air. I flipped my bat around and shoved the top spike through his head trying not to cringe when his blood splattered all over my face. I shoved him off and took off again as the other Zombies got closer.

I ducked into a room, waiting until they passed me to whistle. They all turned and rushed into the room with me. I ran around the bed and shoved it towards them, knocking some of them over. I waited until they came around to rush for the door and lock it, slamming it shut behind me. They started banging on the window and door, reaching out for me with hungry eyes.

I took another deep breath, willing my body to stop trembling. I really wish Nova was here. We all rely on her so much I feel bad but at the same time I would've felt safer with her presence. I miss her already.

I made my way back to the room where Tommy and Finch were loading up her bag with every prescription I could think of and more. Tommy hugged me when he saw me, both of them sighing in relief. I let out a sigh of relief too.

"You made it!" Finch said, smiling big and hugging me too. I was definitely ready to be back in the safety of our home after that.

"You need a shower." Tommy said with a chuckle, slinging one of the bags over his shoulder as he handed me the other one.