Chapter 22: Promise Me You'll Come Back

Nova

My side throbbed when I awoke. It wasn't completely healed but it did seem like it was healing really well already. It did hurt though. It was really annoying.

I need more of that morphine.

Or weed.

Or morphine and weed.

"Hey Killer, how ya feelin?" Finn asked as he nuzzled his face into my hair.

It had fallen down in my sleep and it kind of tickled but I ignored it. I didn't want to move my body at all. I was one giant ache.

"I need weed." I grumbled, Finn chuckling quietly at my response.

"What's weed?" Shasta asked, startling me fully awake.

I forgot she was in my bed I haven't even opened my eyes yet. I feel like a bad Mommy.

"It's special medicine Little One. It helps you sleep and helps you when you hurt." I told her, pulling her into my arms-even though it increased my pain.

I loved her already. She was such a good girl. I'm not ready to be a mom but that woman chose me to save her daughter. I had to keep her safe. And maybe I'd know if I was going to keep her by the time I reach my aunt and uncle. I have a feeling I'm going to get too attached anyways.

I have always wanted a girl.

Maybe she was fate as well?

I lost my baby...maybe this was the Fates way of giving me one? I can't help but to believe in the Fates so much. Things happen for a reason. And maybe saving her was fate. Could I give her away? No, I don't think I could. I just hope Finn will agree to keep her if we do end up together.

"I'm hungry." She mumbled, looking up at me with pleading eyes.

"What do you want?"

"Waffles."

I went to sit up and gasped in pain.

Maybe it's not as healed as I thought.

Finn sat up and went to touch me but stopped. Though his touch is soothing to me I don't think it would help with this kind of injury.

"Do you hurt Mommy?"

I smiled and shook my head, knowing I needed to stay strong. "I'm okay. Let's get you dressed and make you some waffles."

I took a deep breath and got up all the way, heading over to the bags her stuff was in. I pulled out a cute long sleeved dress and leggings for her to wear since it was still spring and a little chilly. I didn't want her getting sick. I tried to dress her but I could barely bend or lift up my arms without shooting pains. It was really starting to piss me off.

"I got it Killer." Finn said, gently pushing me out of the way.

I hated feeling helpless.

Useless.

Like I can't do what I need to without help.

I'm not a happy camper this morning.

Not at all.

He dressed her quickly and then led her into the bathroom to brush her hair and teeth. She didn't argue or fight him at all. Even when he brushed her hair just a bit too roughly. She's the most easygoing five year old I've ever met. Molly was a little shit when she was five. But Shasta...she's pretty great.

I hope mine and Finn's kids are as cool as her...

Oh my god what am I thinking?! I said mine and Finn's kids. I'm even imagining a future with him now. Something I said I wouldn't do. This is worse than I thought.