Chapter 55: You're Glowing

Nova

I dried my hands and went upstairs to my room. Finch was sitting on the bed staring at the wall with her focus face on. I wonder what she's thinking about.

She looked over at me when I entered the room, flopping back onto the bed with a smile and patted the spot next to her. I laid down the opposite way and smiled. The way we always lay down when we have our talks.

"What's going on Finchy?"

Her smile fell and she sighed. "I know we're not supposed to talk about it anymore but I just...I can't believe you died. I feel so wrong about it. If I hadn't pushed you to take me out it never would've happened. And that man killed you Nova. You died for me-for us. I want you to tell me what happened. Everything."

I knew she wouldn't let it go. I was hoping I wouldn't have up relive what happened so soon, but I can tell it's bothering her. I don't know how telling her about my death will bring her closure, but I guess I can tell her.

"James had two of his men hold me at gunpoint, two hold me down, and he tried to beat your location out of me. I refused to give you up, so he beat me harder. I tried to block him and fight him the best I could but I had guns and men on me and I was unarmed. I blacked out after he kicked me in the side of the head. I guess he still kept beating me anyways. But that's it. Walowski brought me back. I had six broken ribs, a pretty bad concussion, and a fractured wrist from blocking his hits. That's it okay? Don't beat yourself up about it. I'm okay now and that's all that matters."

Finch cried harder, shaking her head and moving to hold me. "It's all my fault. I ignored your instincts and almost lost you for it. I'm so sorry."

I rubbed her back as she cried into my chest, really wishing she didn't know. It's going to haunt her forever. It'll become easier with time but right now it's still fresh. Finch has always been the emotional one between us.

And I know aside from me, this past week has been worse for her out of all of us. She lost her baby, almost lost me, and she almost died too. My poor Finchy.

She went through so much and I wasn't there to be there for her.

But at least I am now.

She pulled away and wiped her tears, giving me a small smile. And then she looked at me curiously.

"You have something else you want to tell me, don't you?"

I really didn't want to tell her, but I did owe it to her. Finn knows, it's only fair that she does too. Because she'll finally understand my pain. I just hope it doesn't hurt her too much.

I went to talk but there was a knock on my door. "Come in!" I called out, not liking that we were disturbed.

Tommy came in with two bottles of wine and a bowl of popcorn, setting them down on the bed with a bottle opener right between us with a smile.

"Enjoy ladies." He swept out of the room just as fast as he came in, quietly closing the door behind himself.

"Wait first before we get all emotional, I want to know why you were smiling so big when you and Finn got back?"

I blushed slightly, wanting to tell her all about it. But that would involve coming clean about my own miscarriage, and I wasn't ready to cry again yet.

"How about we talk about how you're feeling first? Is your wound okay?"

She nodded, lifting her shirt and showing it to me. It wasn't as angry looking as it was before, but it still looked like it hurt. "Walowski said I should be healed in another week or two. He put this really cold cream on it that numbed it so I don't even feel anything. It only hurts when I bend over. What about you? Let me see your battle scars."