Chapter 56: I Love You, You Idiot!

Finn

"I'm coming through!" I heard her shout, making my heart skip a beat.

I looked around making sure everything was perfect before walking over to her. She wrapped her arms around me as I turned us so her back was to her surprise. I hope she likes it. I pulled off the bandana and smiled as her eyes met mine.

"Hey Killer."

She smiled even bigger, leaning up to kiss me. "Hi My Something."

I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing her say that.

"Can I look?"

I shook my head, smiling as she pouted. "Not yet."

She huffed and went to look anyways. I turned her head back and kissed her again.

She never did like surprises.

"I have to say this first. We've never had a proper date which is expected during the apocalypse. I know you wanted to set something up yourself but you always do everything for me so I wanted to do this for you. As a thank you for everything you've done, and continue to do for me. I love you Nova. I love you more than I've ever loved anyone. I'm crazy about you. So first, I'm giving you this." I pulled the box from my pocket and her eyes went wide.

"Finn I don't think-It's not an engagement ring. But I figured since Finch had a promise ring, you should have one too."

I opened the box and her eyes went even wider.

"One of the trips into town I saw a jewelry store. I didn't think I'd find anything you would like but I saw this and thought it was perfect."

And by the look on her face I could tell it was.

It was simple, and that's what she liked. I knew what she'd like for a ring before she even told me. It was a silver band with a simple red ruby in the shape of a star. It's definitely not good enough for an engagement ring, but it was perfect for a promise ring.

"This is my promise to you. That even when you're an annoying asshole, and even when you give me dirty looks and piss me off, I'm still going to love you anyways. I promise to love you until we're old and grey and still love you when I'm gone. Even when you don't think you deserve my love, it's still going to be there. I promise to be yours for as long as you'll have me. And hopefully that's forever."

I slid the ring on her finger, a feeling of relief hitting me when it fit. Almost too perfectly. She kissed me again, and I felt okay. After everything that had happened over the past few months, especially the past couple of weeks, this made me feel like everything was truly going to be okay. I could do anything with her by my side. And I hope she's there forever.

"I love you, you idiot! Now show me my surprise!"

I chuckled and spun us around, turning her so she could see.

And then her smile fell.

Naturally mine did too.

Her calculated eyes looked around, no expression on her face. She looked up at me and then back at our date I'd set up.

She still said nothing.

Now I was nervous.

"Say something you know I hate it when you're quiet."

Nova opened her mouth to respond and then pursed her lips, walking over to my setup. She touched the table covered in flower petals and the lights hanging above us, then over to the tent. She ran her hands around it, thankfully not going inside where her other surprises were, before putting her fist up to her mouth and biting down on her knuckles.