Chapter 48

"Save me," Jake squeaked as Catherine whirled towards us.

"Hey, I'm scared for my own life. Don't just hide behind me," I muttered as I watched the fuming blonde stomp towards us. 

Our late arrival was truly accidental. We were so caught up with staring at the sea, that when we realized it was time to head back, the sun was already setting. 

"Jake..." Catherine's voice dangerously trembled.

"He saved me!" I cried, waving my hands in front of her. "He wasn't ditching!"

"Saved you?" Catherine whipped her head towards me. "You got in trouble again?"

I gulped. Whoops. "I didn't get hurt!"

Catherine loomed over the both of us like a wolf cornering two sheep. Before she could unleash her wrath on us though, Tristan came to our rescue and grabbed Catherine's shoulders. "Hey, hey, calm down. Don't yell at Sakura. Although you can attack Jake all you want—"

"Hey!"

Catherine sighed and rubbed her forehead. "Where's Yuri?"

"He's at the inn right now," Tristan said. 

"And...?" 

"No," Tristan shook his head.

An uneasy feeling in my stomach stirred as I realized what Catherine was trying to ask. Glancing up at Tristan, I asked, "When was the last time you saw him?"

Tristan pinched the bridge of his nose. "Since you woke up."

"I'm going to go search for him," I bumped past Jake as I turned around.

"No, Sakura," Tristan blocked my path. "The sun's almost down, and I don't want you—"

"I'll bring Rezin," I said.

"No," Tristan's voice hardened. "I—"

"Tristan," I said, clenching my fists. "I'm not trying to start a fight, but I'm not asking. For Justin to be absent this long...I want to at least make sure he is okay."

"Then let me go with you," Tristan said.

"No," I shook my head. "I don't think you're in the right mindset to see him."

Tristan blinked and shifted his foot backwards slightly as if my words had physically hit him. He looked at the ground for a moment before squeezing his eyes shut and sighing. "Fine. Bring Rezin with you."

Like the bird had been listening the whole time, Rezin swooped down and landed gently on my shoulder. "Alright. I'm going now then."

"Sakura," Catherine called after me. "Be careful."

I nodded and briskly set off. When I turned a corner of a street, I muttered to Rezin, "Search the streets and come to me if you see him."

Rezin chirped in response and launched himself off my shoulder. I racked my brain as I glanced around the streets.

"Gray," I muttered, quickly taking off in the direction of the club. As I turned corners and walked briskly down the road, I was surprised I could get around without getting lost. Maybe because the club was so close to the inn but...

Spotting the dark alleyway, I squeezed myself in and opened the hidden door. The club was as busy and noisy as ever. I spotted Eugene at a loud table having a drinking match with one of his friends and looked away.

Eugene was probably too drunk to even notice Justin. Walking around the tables, my eyes lit up when I found Gray at the bartender counter.

"Gray!" I rushed up to him. "Where's Justin?"