Chapter 62

"Welcome back guys," Catherine glanced up from a white and purple flower in her hand and smiled at us. "Where'd you guys go—"

Catherine abruptly stopped talking as her eyes zoned towards Gray's hand. She shot up from her bed and rushed over to him. "What's wrong with your hand?"

"It's just a little sprain—" Gray tried to quickly dismiss her concern while eyeing me nervously.

"Sprain?" Catherine narrowed her eyes at Gray's finger and grabbed his arm. "It looks broken! Look, it's already starting to—"

"Alright, alright," Gray quickly cut in. "Let's just...just sit down and work on it."

I had to look away as huge waves of guilt crashed into me. It couldn't have been me. It was impossible. Guren even said himself—

Guren's flabbergasted expression flashed through my mind again, and I wobbled over towards a bed. He wouldn't have looked so surprised if my Guang was actually what he hypothesized. Does that mean my Guang wasn't Earth Tier? What did that even mean?

If it wasn't Earth, then what was it? How many powers were there? Did I have to go back to Guren to find out?

I squeezed my eyes shut and collapsed against the mattress, trying to calm the storm of questions exploding in my brain. I'm pretty sure I'm banned from going to the prison until Guren gets out which I suspect he won't have trouble since he was the head of the Royal Army.

"Sakura?" Catherine approached me. I opened my eyes and sat up. "Tomorrow, I'm going to be heading out with Yuri to get some supplies. Can you stay behind and watch Justin for me?"

I nodded. "Oh...oh yeah. No problem."

"Thanks," she nodded. "Before you go to bed, go wash up and eat this."

Catherine handed me a bowl of rice and meat. I took it, not sure if my appetite was up to eat but she stared at me until I put a spoon in my mouth. Satisfied, she went away to tend to Justin again.

My eyes followed her and watched worriedly as she bent over to examine him. He looked more pale than I had remembered, and his expression had contorted into one of pain.

"His wound?" I asked.

"Barely changed," Catherine responded without looking back.

I got up from bed and started walking over to Justin, but Gray suddenly popped up in front of me and motioned for me to get back in bed. I was about to argue with him, but once I saw his broken hand, the overwhelming guilt sucked every word right out of me.

"You can check on him tomorrow," Gray said. "Either go take a bath or stay in bed and eat up what Catherine cooked for you."

I nodded, not meeting Gray's eyes as I walked to the back of the room and out towards the well. As I headed towards the well, I remembered Guren's purple eyes drilling into me and shook my head.

Royal Demon.

I drew a sharp breath. Those were the words Guren had mouthed to me when I looked back.

Royal Demon. That was what I was.

I wasn't just a human anymore. I wasn't ever just human.

I was a Royal Demon.

~

Chirp. Chirp.

I woke up to the sound of a bird singing in my ear. Blinking, I sat up and squinted through my blurring vision to stare at the red bird in front of me. The windows had let sunlight stream through and lit up the room.