Chapter 17

"Ngh."

I winced as the blade entered my arm. Blood dripped onto the ground and flowed down my arm like a river. I originally planned to grab the man's arm but realized I didn't have enough time so I had to use my arm to protect Catherine's body.

The men around us let out a cry of surprise; the leader quickly ripped the blade out of my arm with a gasp of bewilderment. I cried out in pain as the blade tore through my muscles. Dropping my arm to the ground, I gasped for breath, trying to clear my blurry mind.

"What the—this one too?" the leader breathed before turning to the crowd. "Bailey! David!"

Face pale and sweaty, I heaved heavily as two men stepped out. I was in too much agony to be surprised that Bailey was actually a man.

"What happened to watching over them?" he barked.

"W-w-we thought they were locked in," Bailey squeaked.

"You idiots!"

Before I could blink, the leader charged and drew the blade up Bailey stomach. My mouth dropped open as guts and blood flew into the air and landed on the ground with a splat! Bile crawled up my throat. My eyes couldn't look away as the body fell to the ground with a nasty sound.

"BAILEY!" David roared, dropping to his knees and catching his friend in his arm. "Bailey. Keep up with me. Hey, Bailey."

"Idiots," the boss snarled, turning around before smiling cruelly down at me. " Now. What should I do with you?"

I feel back on to my bottom and clutched my bleeding arm. The pain was unbearable; I had never experienced anything like it before. It was as if my whole arm was on fire.

"I really don't like those eyes," the man muttered, grabbing fistfuls of my hair and looking down at me with cold, emotionless eyes.

Terror and loathing shot through me like an arrow. This man killed his own people. This man tyrannized a village and played around with it and its people like toys. Without even a second thought, he could kill and take someone's innocent life in his hands. He was a man with no heart. No feelings. No nothing. Empty.

Suddenly, the man gasped and let go of me. With shaking hands, he took his sword and held it in front of him.

"So..." he tried to sneer, but the fear in his eyes was bright and clear. "You're one of those people."

Those people? I looked at him, a confused expression building up on my face. What did he mean? 

I didn't have the time to think about it though as the man launched at me with a scream. I stayed there rooted in terror as the man slashed his blade down. I squeezed my eyes shut and felt my body shut down.

Justin. Yuri. Tristan. Anyone. If you can't save me, at least save Catherine. Please—

A clang echoed through the air. 

I paused.

Clang? My eyes shot open and widened to see a familiar cloak billowing in front of me. The person swung his blade and suddenly, the leader went flying into the air. The cloaked person turned around and stared down at me with familiar bronze eyes.

"Hey," Justin said, crouching down to my eye level. " Didn't I tell you not to close your eyes when you—"

I couldn't help the rushing emotions inside of me. I flung my arms around Justin and buried my face into his neck. I felt him stiffen under me before he relaxed and began patting my back comfortingly.