9. Deal With the Devil

Back at school, and I'm working. Life is fun. 

Sorry for the wait. Again. One day I'll be somewhat on time.

Maybe drop some comments as you read, I love catching glimpses of ppl's reactions

~~~

The first sense to return to him was that of sound. A high-pitched ringing echoed between his ears and rattled his bones. The buzz slowly grew quieter, never entirely stopping, but lessening enough for him to think. His brain felt as though it were trembling, quivering in his skull. It throbbed in beat with his heart, pulsing uncomfortably as a sharp pain made itself known between his furrowed brows. Something thick and warm slowly dripped from one of his ears.

Cubellios was nearby. He could hear her hissing, her muscles tensing and moving as she shifted her coils. The feeling of her scales against his knuckles was familiar, soothing. Cobra found himself relaxing on instinct.

A voice. Faint and unfamiliar, for a moment, he thought he may have imagined it.

He let out a soft groan as he tried and failed to open his eyes. The voice drew nearer, its owner stopping at his side, and Cobra's heart stopped as he recognized it.

Cobra's entire body jolted. His eyes flew open, his vision was blurry, and the lights gave him a headache. He sat upright in the blink of an eye. In the next second, he was deafened by a guttural scream. It took him a moment to realize it was his own.

"Woah, woah, woah," a hand was placed on his shoulder. "Lie down. You're in no shape to be moving... Like, not at all."

He tried to stay upright, but unable to summon his own strength, he was pushed down. Cobra winced, a sharp breath hissing from between his teeth as his back came into contact with the ground. The memory of Brain's attack had his heart twinge with pain. That pain, however, was vastly overpowered by the agony that burned in his gut.

He spared a glance at the wound and felt bile rise in his throat.

His stomach, or what had once been his stomach, heaved and jerked as he gagged. He surely would have thrown up if it weren't for the fact that his organs were gone. Loose flaps of skin moved in sync with his convulsions, blood spattering into the bloody mess of his own decimated organs he found himself lying in.

His flesh was jagged and torn. He could see past muscle and bone. He could see how his veins pulsed with each beat of his heart. He could see the ground through the giant cavity in his gut. Cobra wanted nothing more than to look away but found he couldn't. He was utterly transfixed.

His breathing became irregular, panicked. And it only worsened as he realized he could see his lungs, miraculously still intact, rise and fall with each ragged breath.

Cobra was light-headed. His vision swam. His hearing was muffled. He was distantly aware of someone calling his name. Of Cubellios' low hisses. But he couldn't focus on them. It was like they were worlds away.

He stammered out a garbled mess. His tongue was heavy in his mouth. His brain spun. Someone was calling out to him again. More frantic.

Blood pooled around him. His blood. Thick, red and warm. The air was heavy with the scent of iron. It overwhelmed everything else. It was his blood. It was too much blood. Too much. Too much. His blood. There was no chance of survival. There was so much blood-

His head snapped to the side as a new, searing pain flared to life in his shoulder.

Cobra came crashing back into the moment, out of breath, heart pounding erratically in his chest. He stared at the blade lodged into his shoulder with wide, unbelieving eyes.