2. Whisked Away

Y/n had lived a long, harrowing life. Though, one would never guess if they saw her. 

Granted, anyone who saw her wouldn't have to worry about thinking much of anything anymore. Some might argue that not everyone who saw the face behind the skull had to die. But those people were stupid. It was a matter of self-preservation.

Besides, she had an image to uphold.

She rolled her eyes as she listened to the guild wizards prattle on about her rap sheet. Y/n couldn't help the way her lips curled into a smirk at the mention of the massacre at Taragon, a small town composed of a couple of tight-knit families and not much else. It was one of the Black Death's more well-known exploits, and incidentally, one of the more important.

Y/n felt the temperature drop, as Gray demanded to know who she was. Magic swirled around him, frost spreading across the grass at his feet.

She couldn't help but laugh. The sound was cold and cruel. Whatever it was Gray was trying to do... some form of intimidation perhaps? It needed work. Lots of it.

Y/n had been hoping that she could complete her mission while the Alliance kept the Seis busy. But she'd either overestimated her own abilities or underestimated Cobra's. Because now she was stuck between the two opposing sides, both of which regarded her warily. 

She could cause a diversion and vanish into the woods, but now that they'd seen her they would be expecting her. That alone was no challenge, but things such as Cobra's enhanced hearing or Natsu's sense of smell certainly were.

She couldn't execute her plan, not as long as they were around.

Y/n wasn't happy. She was far from it.

And that meant that those around her would be paying the price.

*** 

Gray growled, not taking kindly to being laughed at, especially not in such a derisive way. The air grew colder. He took a step towards the Black Death, and only then did they turn their head just enough to meet his gaze. 

Cold empty voids stared at him from the depths of the wyvern's eyes, a hand drifting to the dagger at their waist. 

Gray stopped in his tracks.

For a moment, nothing happened, then Erza tried her hand at speaking to the Black Death. "What are you doing here?"

"Edgy, here's come for Nirvana," Cobra said. 

His smug expression faltered as he heard the thoughts they directed his way. Threats violent enough to make the bravest fear, coupled with images and memories graphic enough to make even the most composed shudder.

Brain studied the cloaked figure closely. Could this really be the Black Death? 

When he heard the name, he imagined someone large and muscular with tremendous magic power. The person who stood before him didn't fit the bill.  He could sense the magical energy they emanated. They were strong, that much was certain, but Erza's magic seemed stronger. He couldn't make sense of it.

That being said, their presence alone had caused both the Alliance and the Seis to tense. So, surely it had to be the Black Death. No one else could carry such an aura so casually. It was as though violence and bloodlust rolled off of them in waves.