6. Join The Dark Side

Again, I'll edit this later. Feel free to point out any mistakes.

~~~

"Useless, absolutely useless," Y/n muttered. She sat perched near the top of an ancient oak tree. Its wide branches and thick foliage kept her hidden, out of sight. 

She'd expected to find something of value in the bag she'd stolen. Maybe some Jewel. A few weapons. Anything, really. But as she rummaged through the leather satchel, all she got was disappointment in the form of an old book with fallen pages stuffed back in place. Some scraps of food and mould. A handful of screws. A map. An empty canteen. A loaf of bread, so stale it could be used as a bludgeon and a first aid kit that was more than half empty. 

She huffed and set the bag down on an adjacent branch. Guild wizards really were good for nothing. The bag itself was nice, though. She'd take it, but then she'd have to take all the garbage inside it too.

Y/n turned to face Nirvana, peering at it through the gaps in the trees. It had grown a bit wider since it had first been activated. It glowed brighter, and the dark, shadow-like energy that surrounded it seemed deeper. The noise of rushing energy continued to ebb and flow, sometimes so quiet that y/n could hardly hear it. Others, so loud it had her wanting nothing more than to curl up underground with her hands over her ears and cry.

Every now and then, Nirvana would let out blasts of shadow and light. Y/n couldn't see where they went or what they did, but she figured it wise to avoid them.

The guild wizards would keep the Seis busy, but there was little chance they would actually win. She needed to figure out how to shut down the spell and fast. The longer she waited, the more likely it was that the Seis would be able to regroup. She doubted she could take all of them at once. Unless she were to kill them. But that wasn't allowed.

"Note to self, never take a no-casualties job again."

A series of raised voices, quickly escalating into angry shouts, had her head snapping in the other direction. The shouts were quick to turn to screams, desperate and high-pitched.

Y/n turned away from them, but when the screams became even higher, she found herself freezing in place. The image of Wendy, wide brown eyes, freckled cheeks, and soft blue hair flashed in her mind.

Throwing her head back and scowling at the sky, y/n cursed no one in particular and made her way toward the screams.

***

"Gray, stop! What are you doing?!" Lucy's voice was raw from yelling.

She stood on the shore, staring at her guildmate with wide eyes. Her lower lip trembled, her body quivering at the sight before her.

Gray was standing on a makeshift raft in the middle of the stream. Natsu was crumpled at his feet, face pale and sickly. Gray's face was split wide with a manic grin, his eyes gleaming with a deranged sort of glee. He clenched his hand, magic swirling around it as he prepared a spell.

"Gray, don't!" Lucy said. Her hands drifted to her keys at her waist. "I don't want to hurt you."

"Well, that's too bad," Gray cooed, his tone sweet but laced with underlying malice. "Because there's nothing I want to do more."

"Gray, think about this," Hibiki said, taking a couple of steps toward the Ice-Make wizard. "You don't want to do this. You're confused. You're not thinking straight. Nirvana's influence is taking control of your mind, but you can fight it. I know-"

"But I don't want to fight it," Gray interrupted. "In fact, I'm not fighting anything."

He raised his hand, palm facing Natsu. The fire dragon grumbled something incoherent, his eyes dazed.