4. Resurrection

Sorry for the wait! Thank you so much for your patience. My computer is practically toast, so I've been borrowing whatever I can get my hands on.

Votes and comments always help to both motivate and embarrass me. So you want to see another chapter sooner, or if you want to virtually drop me in a dunk tank, please feel free! 

I appreciate every vote and especially the comments! I love reading them, even if it makes my tummy all wacky. Hearing all these theories and ideas is honestly even more fun than writing the story. So, like, if you have any theories... 👀👀👀 Give???

~~~

The cave was dimly lit. Its stone walls bathed in the flickering candlelight. The breeze was hot and humid as it passed through. Small flames fluttered, winking in and out of being as if to tease the idea of plunging the cavern and those lurked inside of it in total darkness.

Deep shadows reached for the wizards from dark corners and crevices. They wrapped around small stones and flooded over scurrying insects, enveloping them in darkness. It was eerily silent save for the howl of the wind through the trees outside.

Wendy fell to the ground, her knees giving way as exhaustion took over. It took all of her remaining strength to look up at the man before her, waiting with bated breath, bottom lip quivering as tears welled in her eyes.

"I told you," she said, her voice weak and trembling. "I can't, I'm... I'm sorry. Please don't hurt me."

Brain ignored her grovelling and stepped closer to the body, scrutinizing it. Anger welled up inside him as he realized that the girl had failed. What was he to do now? He had just barely lifted his hand, the beginning of a spell not yet slipped through his lips when he saw it.

Movement.

Small. Slow. Near imperceptible.

But movement nonetheless.

The twitch of a nose. The furrowing of brows. The parting of lips. Then, the fluttering of lashes as, finally, finally, Jellal had awoken.

Everyone stared, wide-eyed as Jellal blinked, slowly and sleepily, as if he had just been roused from a deep sleep.

The remaining Oracion Seis members celebrated their success. Wendy buried her face in her palms and began to weep openly.

Y/n looked between the sobbing girl and the man once thought dead who now stood before her, very much alive.

So that's the power of the Sky dragon... she mused, interesting.

She knew of Jellal. She made it her business to know as much as possible about the Magic Council and the Wizard Saints. Despite their claims to the public that she did not exist, they were constantly trying, failing really, to learn more about her. It was only fair she did the same.

Of all the Wizard Saints, Jellal had intrigued her the most. To create a Thought Projection so realistic that it could fool some of the country's best into believing it was flesh and blood. To create a Thought Projection so powerful that it could rival entire guilds on its own. That took tremendous amounts of not just magic but also determination and drive.

And while she knew that not all the energy that went into the creation of Seigrain was Jellal's own, some of it had come from the being that possessed him. Nevertheless, it was still an impressive feat.

She knew of his power- she'd witnessed it herself once before. It was many years ago now, a few years after he had taken over the construction of the Tower of Heaven. The job request had come to her as any other, through a chain of ever-changing routes with endless starts and ends that only the most dedicated were able to find.