fifty one

"whoa baby, are you okay?" louis chuckled, holding harry's waist tighter and steadying him on the empty street. there were trees lining up and down, the wind pushing leaves to the ground with a whistling tune. this part of the neighborhood was always silent and peaceful; harry and his mum used to always take walk on these streets. there were only a couple of houses.

"i think so," harry breathed, his voice disappearing into the cool fall air. louis' fingers were gripping his hips, and he knew that if the older boy let go he would surely fall again. "how are you here?"

"i couldn't stand not being able to touch your curls," louis smiled, "they're so soft." 

harry blushed and looked at the ground as louis brushed his fingers through his fringe, placing little kisses to his face the whole time. "cutie patootie. how was school today?"

harry shrugged. he didn't like to talk about school, no; that was something that stayed at school. he hated it, he hated the way people treated him and the ache in his chest whenever he thought about the fact that louis wasn't there. but now, louis was here, asking him how it was, and he had to answer louis because he was louis and louis was his best friend, his favorite person in the whole world.

"the kids at school think i'm a freak," harry whispered, hating the way his voice cracked. louis' eyes softened, even more than they were before, and he furrowed his brows as if he was hurt.  

"you're not," he began, clutching harry's face in his hands, "you're not..."

harry jumped when louis backed away, grabbing his hair before kicking a stray pebble on the road. he looked... angry. 

"why can't they see how freaking perfect you are?! you're so beautiful, how can they not see it? h-how?" the broken tone in his voice caused harry to feel some type of way, and he hugged himself, as he watched louis let out his anger, kicking every pebble there was and clenching his fists. he jumped when louis stormed towards him, holding his face again. his breathing was heavy, his cheeks flushed and his blue eyes wide open, watering, either from the breeze blowing or his tears. his hands were trembling on harry's face. "please, harry, please don't believe them when they say you're a freak. i can't describe how untrue that is."

 harry stared at louis, his green eyes wide open and his hands still hanging at his sides. he didn't know whether louis was sad or mad. 

"louis?" harry asked.

"harry," louis said.

they stared at each other for a while, and harry didn't know why his heart felt like it was exploding, like it was about to burst. he liked to look at the pink tip of louis' nose, as it was getting chillier as night grew closer. he liked to watch the way louis licked his lips, the way he blinked his eyes slowly, hiding the colour before revealing a glowing bright blue. he loved his cheekbones.

"i love you muches," louis smiled. he smiled so wide that there were crinkles by his eyes. harry loved that.

a thought crossed harry's mind for a second and he frowned, pushing his hands against louis' sides gently and digging his fingertips into his hipbones. "are you gonna leave again?" he asked quietly, nuzzling his nose into louis' thin white shirt, putting his ear on his chest to listen to the steady, strong beat of his heart. he fluttered his eyes shut for a while, and his mind was hazy and clear at the same time. the thought of louis walking away again caused a tear in his heart.

"i'm not going to leave," louis responded. "i'm just going away for a while. but i'm coming back."

"i don't like when you leave. school's scary," harry whispered, and he felt ashamed.