forty six

harry received many odd glances when he finally burst into the apartment building. it was set up similar to a hotel; there was a front desk and a few chairs. harry rushed past the couple making a deal with the person at the front desk. they were obviously excited, probably because it was their first "home" together.

'i'm coming, lou," harry murmured into the phone, but the boy was too drunk to understand anything. he just kept saying random things that didn't make sense half the time. "just stay there, stay right where you are." he stepped into the elevator, and the minute both his boots were in he clicked on the top floor.

the music, the peaceful, happy music was frustrating and he tried to block it out, because louis was on the roof and he was unable to do anything while he was stuck in this cramped place. he pushed his fingers through his curls, taking deep breaths and trying so hard not to cry.

"...do you think it would hurt if i jumped on top of that car parked down there. not as far as a distance, you know?" louis was saying, and harry shook his head, feeling his heart pound at the thought.

"louis, no, don't do that. no no no no louis no."

he could feel the panic filling his mind, although he tried so desperately to ignore it. no matter how hard he focused, his mind was still spinning and he hated that feeling. it was a faint, hollow feeling and he wanted it to go away so he could breathe properly.

but it didn't, it actually worsened with louis' eerily calm voice that was also shaky with tears.

harry knew his knees would give out, they almost did when he finally stopped on the top floor and saw the short set of stairs that led to the roof of the apartment building.

"louis!" he yelled into the phone, his voice echoing through the empty, slightly warm building. he stumbled up the stairs and held in his sobs as he looked around for louis. "louis louis louis no don't die, don't freaking die, i can't handle that," he choked, tripping over almost everything in his path as he struggled and failed to keep his mind focused, to not completely fade out like he always did when he got upset like this.

it was windy outside, so windy that harry pushed his sweatshirt hood over his head and he let out a little sneeze.

"your sneezes are so cute."

harry whipped around, lowering his phone from his ear and letting his tears fall as he saw louis.

it had been so long since he saw those glowing blue eyes, which were now shining as he was drunk. louis was smiling up at him, his head tilted really high and his eyes almost squinted shut. harry felt his heart flutter because wow he was adorable, but what wasn't adorable was the fact that his legs were dangling off the edge.

it wasn't an unusual thing to do; a lot of people liked to sit on the edge of buildings and let themselves enjoy the view. but louis was drunk, and that meant that one wrong move could kill him, and harry would not let that happen.

"louis," he said shakily, trying to keep his calm. "louis, louis louis don't do that."

"are you not going to thank me for complimenting your sneeze or.." louis trailed off, before bursting into laughter.

"louis." harry held in a smile, feeling a calming warmth go through his chest. "louis, can you give me a hug?" he hoped louis would get away from the edge of the roof, but he also really freaking wanted a hug.

louis shook his head, and the lump in harry's throat came back.

"i wanna jump off, it'd be so fun, harry, so fun and you could maybe come with me." he furrowed his brows, before correcting himself. "no, i don't want you to jump, it's too cold, angel."