one

"please tell me you're not looking at him again."

"i'm not," harry sighed, blinking and turning towards the blonde boy walking next to him. the hallway was incredibly crowded, so every time he took a step a shoulder would bump into him.

"you know, it's really weird that you have a crush on my stepbrother."

"i don't have a crush on him, niall. i wasn't even thinking about him before you brought him up," harry lied. but he couldn't help but take one more glance at the shorter boy dressed in a white tank top and black skinnies, topped off with black vans.

"i didn't even say his name and you knew who i was talking about," niall pointed out, rolling his eyes, but he was smiling.

sometimes niall confused harry. he never could make up his mind over whether or not he agreed with harry's major crush.

the bell rang, and it seemed as if the whole hallway cleared up in a second.

"shoot, i'm late," harry mumbled, dragging his black high top converse to the next class. niall called a quick good bye before heading off in the other direction.

the teacher didn't seem to notice his late arrival, which he was extremely grateful for. he already had enough trouble in maths, a bad relationship with the teacher would just make it worse. so he hunched over and walked to his desk, sliding into a seat with a deep sigh.

"hey mate." harry jumped at the deep voice in his ear, and whipped his head quickly to the left.

"oh," harry said, relieved, when he realized it was his friend zayn speaking to him. "hi zayn."

and then zayn leaned in closer, and harry wanted him to stop because the teacher was talking and he didn't want to get in trouble. but he didn't say that.

"you going to niall's after school?" zayn whispered, and harry nodded quickly.

"it's friday. course."

"good."

the rest of the class was spent staring at the confusing equations on the board and trying to find how it all made sense. but no matter how much he contemplated, he couldn't understand it.

he let out a sigh of relief as the bell rang for dismissal, and it seemed everybody agreed as they made similar noises.

harry smiled at zayn as they walked out of the classroom and into the busy hallway. it smelled of sweat and hairspray, and harry scrunched up his nose. "it smells in here," he frowned.

zayn nodded in agreement but didn't say anything, and harry looked away as he maneuvered his way through bodies that were almost all shorter than him.

but then he was frozen as he looked up ahead and saw the boy with shaggy brown hair and a slight frown as he walked.

louis.

"what're you doing man? niall is waiting for us."

of course he was. niall's last class was at the very front of the school, which meant he was always the first one waiting at the end of the day. harry was extremely jealous, as he had to walk forever until he finally got into the fresh air.

and that thought almost, almost distracted him from the fact that louis was coming closer, his blue eyes trained straight ahead and his books held in one arm by his waist, in a loose way that was very different than harry's. harry held his to his chest tightly, as he was very bad about getting bumped into and he didn't want to drop his stuff.

louis looked extremely bored but also beautiful, and harry could feel his face heating up as they walked by him, and ducked his head so his curls were covering his face when louis slightly bumped into him.