TWENTY NINE | FALLOUT

REMUS LUPIN WAS NOT PREPARED FOR WHAT HAPPENED NEXT

REMUS LUPIN WAS NOT PREPARED FOR WHAT HAPPENED NEXT. He woke up in the hospital wing with James Potter asleep in the chair between him and another bed.

"James..."Remus groaned as he moved. He could already tell that this full moon was the worst one yet.

James stirred, opening his eyes,"Oh Godric, Moony,"The teenager frowned,"Last night...it wasn't good."

Remus didn't like that tone. James was always the one to make jokes about the situation, and make everyone laugh. So when he used that tone, it worried Remus.

"What happened?"

"Sirius fucked up, that's what happened,"James told him bitterly. It was rare that James was angry with Sirius."I have no idea what he was thinking, but he knows that Snape has been trying to figure out a way to get us expelled. He knew Snape would follow him. He got into the shack, and you saw him, and it was horrific. It was like you were trying to protect from him, like he was going to hurt your pack."

"Oh Merlin, please tell I didn't kill Severus Snape," Remus croaked, tears welling up in eyes.

James stared back at him with the same tearful expression."You didn't kill anybody, Remus," James sighed,"But you went after him...and Estella intervened. She took the hit, Remus."

Remus' entire world came crashing down. He hurt her. It was his biggest fear when she started to accompany him for the full moon. The werewolf broke down. Everything from this year came crashing into him.

"Is she-"

"She's right here, Moons, but she hasn't waken up yet. She hit the wall when you scratched her,"James motioned towards the other bed beside him but the curtain was drawn.

Estella was going to have a scar. A memory of how he hurt her."I should have never let her do this. I told her...I knew I was bad for her..."

"Stop it,"James demanded,"You didn't have control. She protected Snape and that was her decision, and so was her helping you. And she loves you, and you love her, and this isn't going to change that. You are not a bad person, you are not a monster, you are Remus Lupin, and you are the best of all of us so before you go and destroy yourself over this, you need to take a breath and realize that this is something we will conquer and Estella will be okay. We'll all be okay. Sirius got her here as soon as it happened."

"Sirius is why she's here in first place,"Remus' voice was rocky and raised.

"I know."

A quiet groan came from behind the curtain. The pink-haired girl had finally woken up from her sleep. The poor girl had never felt so much pain in her life. The events of the night before came flooding back and all she could think about was her poor boyfriend who was going to be destroyed by the news that she had been hurt, that Sirius had led Snape into danger and uncovered his secret.